Thread: What's the difference?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I haven't quite formulated the question I want to ask yet, but, preliminarily, and from a quasi-legalistic point-of-view, how far apart would you say the terms tolerate and approve are from each other, meaning-wise?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I haven't quite formulated the question I want to ask yet, but, preliminarily, and from a quasi-legalistic point-of-view, how far apart would you say the terms tolerate and approve are from each other, meaning-wise?
    Very. They are totally entirely different things.

One is leaving the door open.
    The other is holding it open.

Neither is shutting it.

I don't approve of gay's lifestyle choices. However I tolerate it 'cause it doesn't affect my own life....that much.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    i think you probably ment to relate to "Acceptance" instead of approve.

Tolerate= acceptance of whatever - generally negative
    Approve= opinion /judgement - positive

why you ask by the way?
    is it...women problems?
    Last edited by 15%; 10-18-2005 at 08:10 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The meaning of the two words are separated by a veritable chasm.

Citing examples of why is too easy - but due to the vagueness of the initial post, I suspect some obfuscation of the matter is imminent.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Citing examples of why is too easy - but due to the vagueness of the initial post, I suspect some obfuscation of the matter is imminent.

Ooooh you cynic!

PS

That which I tolerate simply does not annoy me enough to stir my stumps but if I approve then I may actually proselytise (a bit).
    Last edited by Biggles; 10-18-2005 at 08:21 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles

Ooooh you cynic!

PS

That which I tolerate simply does not annoy me enough to stir my stumps but if I approve then I may actually proselytise (a bit).
    Kind of the way I look at it.

Okay.

When comes behavior/preference/lifestyle that you tolerate (and let's say, without splitting hairs, a societal majority is verifiably similarly inclined), and the group/lobby in question demands societal approval as well as legal sanction...if an unelected judge finds grounds for legal sanction...

Ah, perfect!

NAMBLA (National Man/Boy Love Association) is granted all legal status currently afforded heterosexual behaviors-the whole package-what do you do?

Are you bound by the actions of an "errant" judge, or do you react with undisguised disgust?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    If you're disgusted by NAMBLA prior to the actions of this hypothetical judge, then it's fair to say that you'll still be disgusted afterwards.

I imagine.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    If you're disgusted by NAMBLA prior to the actions of this hypothetical judge, then it's fair to say that you'll still be disgusted afterwards.

I imagine.
    If such a thing came to pass, would you feel your status as a participant in societal affairs had been usurped, and that you'd prefer to have had a say on the issue rather than allow a judge to unilaterally decide on behalf of society?

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

I imagine.
    If such a thing came to pass, would you feel your status as a participant in societal affairs had been usurped, and that you'd prefer to have had a say on the issue rather than allow a judge to unilaterally decide on behalf of society?
    I'd prefer to be consulted on any and all matters that come to pass which may have an effect on society. However, this isn't practical and I'm hardly qualified.

Some matters have to get sorted without asking the people to decide, as it were. The decision maker is still, ultimately, responsible.

In this particular case, I'd like to think that any government that I helped elect, and their civil-servant minions, wouldn't sanction such a law but if they did, I'd hope the opposition would lobby and get the law repealed.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    My girlfriends has 2 uncles who are priests.... (yes i know)
    -one is liberal hippy priest and more buddhist than jezuz - yet has a really annoying habit of preaching "the words" whenever possible.

- the other is known to be opposed to homosexuality and other issues i care not to introduce in this post.I disapprove of such atitudes.
    in the 4 times i have met him - he has never ever tried or even subtly mentioned his religious beliefs.
    As a person i approve of him because he tolerates my beliefs, so i tolerate his.
    The former on the other hand seems to be the more narrow minded...

weird and conceptually absurd.
    Last edited by 15%; 10-18-2005 at 09:35 PM.