Thread: Can I put on Win98se without formatting?

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    I have xp pro right now as my main system but I want to have windows98 second edition as my secondary on another partition but when I try to install windows 98 there it wants to go into c:\ where my windows xp is and I dont want to take that out either...

I have 2 hard drives but all my personal stuff is on the other one so thats not an option to format that one

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    98 does not play nicely with other operating systems.

Here is some info I found once... (forgot where)

If you load Windows 98 after loading Windows XP, you will not be able to boot to Windows XP after the first restart. The reason for this is that Windows 98 is an older OS version that does not recognise the Windows XP boot loader and overwrites it. If you intend to have Windows 98 and Windows XP as dual boot in your system, it is essential that you first load Windows 98 and then load Windows XP. The latter will detect the presence of another OS and will install its boot loader and also make a provision for you to boot into Windows 98. However, if you have already loaded Windows XP on a FAT32 partition and don't want to disturb it but would like to have Windows 98 also loaded, then there is a workaround. Please install Windows 98 as usual, select the installation drive as anything other than the drive in which you have installed Windows XP. Run the installation and when it is over, you will find that your system will directly boot into Windows 98. Now to have your XP OS back, please boot your system with a Windows XP bootable CD. When the set-up menu appears, press `enter.' The installer will search the system and find the Windows XP files and will present you with an option to repair. Please press `R' to repair. The XP installation will run and at the end, you will have Windows XP and Windows 98 as dual boot.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    thanks for the info

but when I try to install 98se to another partition it doesnt give me the option it just says it detected another OS and it will overrwite it if I continue and if I click no dont overwrite it throws me out of the setup

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I understood it to be that if you are installing windows 98 after windows XP, you can only install it on another drive, not partition.

To have them both on the same drive but in different partitions, you have to install windows 98 first...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    I understood it to be that if you are installing windows 98 after windows XP, you can only install it on another drive, not partition.

To have them both on the same drive but in different partitions, you have to install windows 98 first...

Think your right bud but why would one want to ? If its for old games or programs the Campaitibility Wizard works wonders , but just guessing here .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    If its for old games or programs the Campaitibility Wizard works wonders , but just guessing here .
    Nope. There's a ton of old games that won't work, even with the compatibility thing.