Thread: noob help

Ya, I'm full of it.
    I downloaded the SUSE ver 10 boxed set DVD from a.b.warez.linux. I then unrared the files and proceeded to burn it to a double layer DVD as an ISO. My problem is that I can't get it to open just by inserting the dvd into my DVD drive. I believe it is supposed to automatically open and install. What did I or am I doing wrong?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what where the files you unrared, were they .bin and .cue or .iso.
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    The files were ISO.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    how did you burn the files to disc. did you burn them as data files or did you select the option to burn a disc image in your burning program?

you need to burn the files as a disc image file. in nero you can do this by going to recorder > burn image then select the file from the window that appears. most burming apps should have a similat option

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t83823.html
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by colonblow87
    I downloaded the SUSE ver 10 boxed set DVD from a.b.warez.linux. I then unrared the files and proceeded to burn it to a double layer DVD as an ISO. My problem is that I can't get it to open just by inserting the dvd into my DVD drive. I believe it is supposed to automatically open and install. What did I or am I doing wrong?
    How big is that ISO? I ask because bouble layer DVD media is expensive. Maybe it fits onto an inexpensive 4.7GB single layer disc?

Edit: Sorry. I just checked and now see that it's over 7.5 GB.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 10-29-2005 at 11:39 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    The ISO was 8.4 gb. I had to burn it on a DL disk. I burned it as an ISO because when I chose "image" Nero wouldn't find it as an image. The bottom line is that I finally elected to scrap this ISO and downloaded Mandriva 10.1 and that worked flawlessly, except I am having trouble with wireless networking. I guess I'll have to read up on Linux. Windows makes everything so easy, but I do like a challenge.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    erm are you trying to install suse in windows.

you need to reboot the pc and set it in your bios (press del on boot) to boot from the dvd drive. then repartition your drive to install suse.

by the way there are a few 4.7 gig versions about one for 32bt and one for 64bit cpu's so you really didnt need to waste an expensive dual layered disc.

oh yeah check the mandriva hardware compatibility list about that wireless nic http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware