Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities And Their Opinions

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by WeeMouse@22 April 2003 - 05:44
    Ok, here's the mouse's humble opinion!

Celebrities should express their views! Everyone is entitled to,after all - it's just that because they are famous, their views are made a little bit more public than ours!

Loads of celebrities over here were making a stand against the war, using their fame to let everyone know that they thought the war was wrong, and fair dues to them! The way I see it, we had George W and Tony Blair etc going on about how right the war is, so it was refreshing to read someone else's opinion.

PS - I was against the war!
    WeeMouse-
    Nice of you to follow Liam's lead and use your own face in your av, how 'bout one with eyes open (wider)?
    It's not the exercise of the "right" that hacks me off, it's the availability of the microphone.
    If it's all about equality, where's my microphone? I can speak more relevantly than most, if not all, celebrities, and to top it off, I could do it without the smug condescension.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 April 2003 - 11:06

It's not the exercise of the "right" that hacks me off, it's the availability of the microphone.
    If it's all about equality, where's my microphone? I can speak more relevantly than most, if not all, celebrities, and to top it off, I could do it without the smug condescension.
    Why j2, you sound jealous!
    Aren't we enough of a rapt audience for you?
    You do speak more relevantly than most, but I should think that you would be pretty intolerant of all the nonsense that would accompany the easy media access that celebrities enjoy ( abuse?).
    Like that last baby dangling episode- did you really want that exposed in the Enquirer?
    Or your tryst with Anna Nicole?

Thought not.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 April 2003 - 11:06

WeeMouse-
    Nice of you to follow Liam's lead and use your own face in your av, how 'bout one with eyes open (wider)?
    Aye, 'twas a right bold move, I'd say.
    Ya look lae fine Scottish breeding stock, lassie.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by clocker+22 April 2003 - 15:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 April 2003 - 15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@22 April 2003 - 11:06

It&#39;s not the exercise of the "right" that hacks me off, it&#39;s the availability of the microphone.
    If it&#39;s all about equality, where&#39;s my microphone? I can speak more relevantly than most, if not all, celebrities, and to top it off, I could do it without the smug condescension.
    Why j2, you sound jealous&#33;
    Aren&#39;t we enough of a rapt audience for you?
    You do speak more relevantly than most, but I should think that you would be pretty intolerant of all the nonsense that would accompany the easy media access that celebrities enjoy ( abuse?).
    Like that last baby dangling episode- did you really want that exposed in the Enquirer?
    Or your tryst with Anna Nicole?

Thought not. [/b][/quote]
    JEALOUS?

Um.....No. I suspect my pique is due to the fawning, boot-licking, swooning media reaction whenever a "celebrity" pronounces.
    As you noted previously, the mouth-breathing "People" readers eat this stuff up, and most of them, IF they make it to the voting booth, become that which I most fear: "UN/MIS-INFORMED VOTERS". I have immense problems with the basic fallibility and naivete of people.
    Why aren&#39;t there more smart, knowledgably curious people in the world? If the percentage in the general population was as high as in this forum, I&#39;d have high hopes, but I&#39;m continually assaulted with evidence to the contrary.
    Boy, I&#39;m depressed&#33;

Clocker, tell me you understand, Okay?

Well, then.

Anna Nicole is going to be reincarnated as a schnauzer whose feet don&#39;t quite reach the ground.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by clocker+22 April 2003 - 15:34--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 April 2003 - 15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@22 April 2003 - 11:06

WeeMouse-
    Nice of you to follow Liam&#39;s lead and use your own face in your av, how &#39;bout one with eyes open (wider)?
    Aye, &#39;twas a right bold move, I&#39;d say.
    Ya look lae fine Scottish breeding stock, lassie. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t she look peachy?

And a sunny disposition, too.

Lucky boy, that Liam.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Originally posted by j2k4+23 April 2003 - 06:22--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 23 April 2003 - 06:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -clocker@22 April 2003 - 15:34
    <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4
    @22 April 2003 - 11:06

WeeMouse-
    Nice of you to follow Liam&#39;s lead and use your own face in your av, how &#39;bout one with eyes open (wider)?

Aye, &#39;twas a right bold move, I&#39;d say.
    Ya look lae fine Scottish breeding stock, lassie.
    Don&#39;t she look peachy?

And a sunny disposition, too.

Lucky boy, that Liam. [/b][/quote]
    :">

Shucks...you guys make me blush&#33;

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Originally posted by j2k4@22 April 2003 - 23:20

There, there, of course I understand...

I figured from the beginning that we would end up here.
    Being somewhat familiar with your worldview from your posts I knew you weren&#39;t railing against "celebrity access" so much as "blind public acceptance".
    This is, of course, a problem.
    Check out a couple of the threads in Filesharing and I think you&#39;ll be impressed (appalled?) with the level of sheer self delusion and dogged unwillingness to apply even a modicum of critical analysis.
    For crissakes, if Sean Penn makes some statement that strikes you as suspect, three hits on Google and you can arm yourself with enough information to evaluate his views for yourself.
    I know this can be tiring, people.
    But j2 may have a stroke if you don&#39;t.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker+23 April 2003 - 08:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 23 April 2003 - 08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@22 April 2003 - 23:20

There, there, of course I understand...

I figured from the beginning that we would end up here.
    Being somewhat familiar with your worldview from your posts I knew you weren&#39;t railing against "celebrity access" so much as "blind public acceptance".
    This is, of course, a problem.
    Check out a couple of the threads in Filesharing and I think you&#39;ll be impressed (appalled?) with the level of sheer self delusion and dogged unwillingness to apply even a modicum of critical analysis.
    For crissakes, if Sean Penn makes some statement that strikes you as suspect, three hits on Google and you can arm yourself with enough information to evaluate his views for yourself.
    I know this can be tiring, people.
    But j2 may have a stroke if you don&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    Why, thank you, Clocker.

You got right to MY point&#33; Good on you&#33;

And good idea re:Googling-I think I&#39;d better get used to doing more of that myself, but the TIME, my God, I KNOW the dangers of too much reading-I have 4 books going now, plus several weekly/monthly publications that MUST be read cover-to-cover&#33;
    I am sorely taxed, here-just bought my first pair of reading glasses, too.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by j2k4@23 April 2003 - 08:56

I am sorely taxed, here-just bought my first pair of reading glasses, too.
    Ah, the many joys of reaching maturity.
    Just when you begin to really develop an appreciation of your senses they go to hell.

Fortunately for you, Googling is easy on the knees.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by clocker@23 April 2003 - 11:19
    Fortunately for you, Googling is easy on the knees.
    Not the way I do it&#33;

AHEM-just kidding.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast