Thread: Saitek Eclipse mini review

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just got me new keyboard, the Saitek Eclipse.
    Saitek makes two models of the lit boards, mine is the "through the key" version meaning that each key's symbol is illuminated.
    Here are details (compliments of Newegg)...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823175103

Every review I've read has mentioned the unit's weight and I can see why- this thing is unusually hefty, surprisingly so, given it's minimal size. I might have to open it up to see if they have added ballast or something.
    Anyway, if weight =quality, the Saitek is a winner.

Now for two qualifications...
    -I have a keyboard fetish, in fact I am obsessive about all the interfaces between me and Sprocket...mouse, switches, etc. Currently I have a pile of six keyboards ranging from a stock Dell to an ancient IBM "clicky-key" M2 model, with a MS wireless desktop Elite and a few Logitechs thrown in.

-I can't type.
    Never learned, not going to.
    It's three finger hunt and peck for me.

Which is why illuminated keys were so attractive to me, finding keys by the light of the monitor was a pain and I like being in the dark (after a full day under flourescent lighting at work looking at crappy monitors my eyes go nuts).

So how's the keylighting?
    Well, hard to say.
    There are three lighting levels-off/low/high-I'm using low right now.
    The symbols on the keys ARE lit from below (and there is a general "glow" around the entire keypad area as well), but the effect is diminished as you increase the viewangle.
    From straight down the keys are very distinct and bright, from a more normal (for me anyway) 45 degree angle the effect is muted but still evident.
    I can still read the keys though, so I would say it's working as advertised.

The feel of the keys is very nice, positive and firm with no apparent sideshake of the keys.
    In comparison, the Logitech I just replaced felt rickety and loose.
    The tops of the keys are nearly flat, my MS and Logitech keys were noticably more cupped so that's what I'm used to but I'm sure I'll adapt.

The keyboard uses a USB interface and (praise the Lord!) the cable is nice and long so routing was no problem.

So there you have it.
    I wanted a keyboard that was lit, small (without using those dreadful laptop keysets) and USB.
    The Saitek is all three and the quality seems very good (especially if you measure by weight), so I'm happy.

My co-worker (who has the other lit model) reports that he is having issues with the Saitek and a few of his video games.
    Not sure how severe or whether it's really the keyboard at all, but I'll let you know as the situation develops.

My initial reactions are very positive, so I'd recommend this keyboard.
    It would be interesting to hear what a real typist thought of the board's "feel" but this amateur likes it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Looks nice. I would have ordered the very same one but I just ordered a cheap nasty MS one from Play.com @ £13.99

Still hasn't arrived yet though so might return it and get the one you have

Where did you order it from? Newegg doesn't ship internationally, no?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    NM - I see it on ebuyer, Amazon and others for around £34-35

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i want this beast

at the moment i type with the keyboard on my knee though so it'd be impossible to use

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    lol Samuri, I prolly have the same shitty MS keyboard that u have.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    lol Samuri, I prolly have the same shitty MS keyboard that u have.
    Still hasn't arrived yet. Thing is I broke this Logitech one I'm using now by bashing it when playing CoD. My spacebar is totally wiped out so Ilitterally have to press it really hard for it to work.

That one that GepperRankins posted looks sweet. However there doesn't appear to be a wrist rest