Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time so start building my comp :D

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Well, now that I'm getting a costant cash flow, I've decieded to buy the parts for my computer, peice by peice instead of all at once.

Now Its going to be a AMD based 939 system, probally with a 3500+. I need an opinion on a mobo, something really good. I was looking at the ASUS AN8 SLI Delux, is that a good make of mobo?

What about ram, I'm looking at two sticks of 512 for the begnning, whats a good make of ram?

Is BFG a good make of video card nowadays?

Also, I'm not sure what brand is good for cooling my computer, along with what brand of power supply i should be getting.

Suggestions are welcome, thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    Well, now that I'm getting a costant cash flow, I've decieded to buy the parts for my computer, peice by peice instead of all at once.
    What time frame are we looking at.
    Generally, buying bits one at a time is a bad idea.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    From next week till december...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Oh, that's not too bad but I still would recommend that you buy the parts together.
    New stuff comes out all the time and everyone is ramping up stock for Xmas so you may be able to get some things later that are not out quite yet (the DFI Expert board I'm waiting on is a good example).
    You might also be able to combine your purchases for a discount (Newegg for instance, is always having "combo specials").
    You can't really spec out a PSU and case until you know what you need to power and how much stuff you need to enclose.

You might also consider checking out some hardware forums ([H]ard, bit-tech, OCForums) and buy from their classifieds.
    I've had very good luck (both price and quality) doing just that and have saved some serious cash in the process.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well I know i am going to get the AMD 64-3500+ and the AN8 SLI Delux, I was just wondering if that mobo is any good... And what a good brand of powersupply is.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well I know i am going to get the AMD 64-3500+ and the AN8 SLI Delux, I was just wondering if that mobo is any good...
    How can you "know" that you'll be getting the Asus if you're still wondering whether it's any good?
    My coworker is seriously eying that very board...I'm not so sure.
    No matter how your board is installed (ATX or BTX) at least one of the heatpipe coolers is facing the wrong way.

Do you plan on going SLI?
    If not, look for a board with only one PCIeX16 slot.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I am looking at building a SLI system...I want to be able to upgrade the shit out of this thing in a few years. Is going SLI a good idea for the future?

Keep in mind this is my first time building a computer, and all though I have a pretty good understanding on this stuff, a few areas of this are pretty new to me.

(ATX, BTX) What is that? :noob:
    Last edited by Smith; 11-14-2005 at 11:41 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I am looking at building a SLI system...I want to be able to upgrade the shit out of this thing in a few years. Is going SLI a good idea for the future?
    I think this attitude is a mistake.
    In a "few years" you won't be "upgrading the shit" out of this, you'll be tossing it out.
    In a few years AMD will migrate to the M2 socket and DDR2 (OR 3) ram AND MOST OF YOUR pc will be obsolete.
    Personally, I think SLI will go away pretty soon...you can already buy a single 7800GTX 512MB that will trounce a pair of 6800 Ultras in SLI so except for the guy who can afford anything (thus would have a pair of the 78's in SLI, natch) the market is miniscule.
    Twin cards not only are very expensive but they also suck down a lot of power and excrete a lot of heat.

Buy the best you can and enjoy it right now.
    Don't count on holding on to it for years and years.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    amd is phasing out the 939 line in about 2 years time anyway. going into 940. by then who knows what will be out and how cheap it will be. memory(ddr2) is "supposedly" to take a little dip in price do to overproduction.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacNTS
    amd is phasing out the 939 line in about 2 years time anyway. going into 940.
    Do you know this for a fact? I haven't seen that the 940 will take over.

You have a link?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast