Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Thread: US petition

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    The USA was not the only country to fight the Japanese, yet we all treated them according to the Convention.
    Hmmm.

I could have sworn it was the U.S.A. we were speaking of...

As to your last, be that as it may, "we" were not bound by the Convention to do so!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #262
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

Such a shame what he said was irrelevant.
    I believe, one way or another, that I have addressed the entirety of your concerns as they apply to my posting, JP, but as we've all witnessed, occasionally things can become somewhat confuzzled.

I think I was exercising my right to meander a bit, as we seemed to be stuck on the point of "moral" or "not moral" as regards torture.

What do you desire I speak to?
    No, I think you'll find I said it was immoral. We know what immoral means, contrary to established moral principles. I think you'll find that most countries have agreed torture is wrong, ours certainly have. I think you'll find that your own Constition thinks it is wrong. Therefore, ergo, Q.E.D. torture is immoral. That's the one point we can agree on.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #263
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

I believe, one way or another, that I have addressed the entirety of your concerns as they apply to my posting, JP, but as we've all witnessed, occasionally things can become somewhat confuzzled.

I think I was exercising my right to meander a bit, as we seemed to be stuck on the point of "moral" or "not moral" as regards torture.

What do you desire I speak to?
    No, I think you'll find I said it was immoral. We know what immoral means, contrary to established moral principles. I think you'll find that most countries have agreed torture is wrong, ours certainly have. I think you'll find that your own Constition thinks it is wrong. Therefore, ergo, Q.E.D. torture is immoral. That's the one point we can agree on.
    Yes, on that we do agree.

The use of chemical methodologies lies in a bit of a gray area (morally, I think, for both of us; conditioned on physical effect), and some (I believe I'm alone on this), such as sleep deprivation and other sensory methods, are of situational utility.

As an aside, I think to argue national/international "morals" loses significant weight when couched in the apparently requisite secular rhetoric.

Too bad, that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #264
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame

As an aside, I think to argue national/international "morals" loses significant weight when couched in the apparently requisite secular rhetoric.

Too bad, that.
    Why, as hobbes would be quick to point out, morality can be entirely secular.

Quite right too, in my view. Why should we insist on morality being a solely religious matter.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #265
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag

Too bad, that.

Quite right too, in my view. Why should we insist on morality being a solely religious matter.
    Will you quit ganging up on j2? Next thing ya know Fugs will be in here.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #266

Too bad, that.

So you are saying it is quite acceptable, logical and correct for morality to be secular, and precisely the opposite as to any religious aspect?

A novel view, to say the least...

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #267
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

So you are saying it is quite acceptable, logical and correct for morality to be secular, and precisely the opposite as to any religious aspect?

A novel view, to say the least...
    I couldn't possibly comment, I have no idea what you are suggesting that I said.

What I did say was that morality did not require a religious aspect, it could be entirely secular. I did not say that morality precluded a religious aspect, merely that it did not require it.

I may have answered you, I may not, I genuinely did not understand your opening stanza.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #268
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Although one of the Powers in conflict may not be a party to the present Convention, the Powers who are parties thereto shall remain bound by it in their mutual relations.
    That interpretation also says that all the Taliban prisoners and any Afgan Al Queda should have been re-patrioted as soon as hostilities ceased with Afganistan... so they're still breaking it

BTW:

Which one of you Bar Stewards signed me up to the Rev Lou Sheldons newsletter? (Coalition for Traditional Values)
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 12-01-2005 at 05:19 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #269
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Although one of the Powers in conflict may not be a party to the present Convention, the Powers who are parties thereto shall remain bound by it in their mutual relations.
    That interpretation also says that all the Taliban prisoners and any Afgan Al Queda should have been re-patrioted as soon as hostilities ceased with Afganistan... so they're still breaking it

BTW:

Which one of you Bar Stewards signed me up to the Rev Lou Sheldons newsletter? (Coalition for Traditional Values)

BTW: It wasn't me

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627