Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday Is Almost Upon Us

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    What is Black Friday?

Black Friday is the day AFTER Thanksgiving. This is usually the day that kicks off Winter/Christmas sales, so most stores have their best deals today. Usually such great deals that people will camp out overnight to be sure to get whatever is on sale. Is it worth the $50 in savings? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's how much you value your time. It's one thing to wait to get the item, it's another thing to have to wait in line to actually purchase that item.

www.bf2005.net

BF is not a leisure shopping day. Most stores open between 5 & 6 am with some opening at midnight. A store like Wal Mart will have lines wrapping around the parking lot and out to the street. If you plan well you can get everything or almost everything you want in 4 hours or less and your Christmas shopping could be done.

Certain items on BF are free, almost free, or severely discounted (usually after rebate). CD-Rs, DVD+/-Rs and jewel cases are always free somewhere. Printer paper is usually almost free and SD cards are severely discounted. I saw one store that had 512mb cards for $10 and another for $20 with 1gb cards for $40. Memory Stick and hard drive prices are severely cut too. Last year I got a 200gb hd for $60.

Tips

1. Map out all the stores you want items in.

2. Go to stores with biggest savings first. Going to one store to save $5 on a children's toy when you could save $100 on a TV is not smart if you wanted both. If you want electronics, hit those stores first. Electronics tend to have the highest price tags thus have room for bigger discounts.

3. If items available on BF are available now, buy it now. You can return it on BF and get it for the lower price and you'll be doing it in the customer service line which should be shorter.

4. Traffic will be very bad. Know your route to each store noting any shortcuts beforehand.

5. Beware of rebate rules. Most are

One per:
    customer (name)
    household (address)

Usually you could get away with sending same items on the same receipt to different family members at different addresses. Different names. Different adresses. Cool, right?

What they fail (or never) to mention is

One per receipt

Many receipts have a barcode (like Circuit City or Staples) or receipt number.
    If you buy more than one of the same item on the same receipt, the rebate fulfiller sees the same receipt number and disqualifies all but the 1st of the same items. Some do it and some don't.

If possible, buy more than one of the same item as separate purchases.

6. Fill out your rebate information THE NEXT DAY. Retailers and manufacturers bank (literally) on consumers not sending the rebates in or not following the rebate rules.

6a. Be sure you are going to keep an item before cutting the UPC for the rebate (if needed). Hook the item up and make sure it works. You may have to take it back and it's easier with the UPC attached.

6b. Stores that do online rebates are preferable. For example, with Staples Easy Rebates you buy an item, you go home and enter the rebate number, name, address, and the item you bought and a check comes in the mail. Remember to separate like items into different purchases. If you bought 2 100 packs of DVD+Rs, it will know and tell you online.

7. If possible, split up if there's more than one of you doing the shopping. You can separate by going to different stores in different cars or separate within a store to nab the different items you are looking for. It saves time and helps guarantee you get what you what before anyone else does.

8. If something's popular buy more than one of it. I saw Chappelle's Show Season 1 and 24 season 1 for $10 last year. I bought 5 copies 'cause I knew people would want them. You can sell it (and add a couple $ if you want) or give it as gifts.

9. Clean out the trunk of your car. You may need the room.

10. Get plenty of sleep that night. You are getting up at probably 4am ffs.

Remember this day is all about getting in and getting out. Sale items are noted beforehand in the sales paper. Everything else is hogwash. Get it another day.

Most of your holiday shopping can be done in a day. You can watch everyone else frantically try to find last minute items and while you sit back and relax 'till Christmas.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    when's groundhog day?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Some items can be stolen, resulting in a 100% discount, tho' this does require parental approval.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    shop around. t'other day when i was buying tony hawks american sk8land. the first shop i checked had it for £35. then i checked the smaller shop less than 100 metres away and got it for £30

5. Lounge   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    when's groundhog day?
    everyday is groundhog day

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I wouldn’t go shopping on Friday if someone paid me to do it.

There’s no way in hell that I’d get up that early in the morning to get a discount on shit that I don’t even need. The only way that I’d get up at 4 in the morning on my day off to go shopping is if plasma tv’s went on sale for 100 bucks. Other than that I’d rather pay full price for something and not have to deal with lunatics trying to save 50 cents on a DVD.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    I wouldn’t go shopping on Friday if someone paid me to do it.

There’s no way in hell that I’d get up that early in the morning to get a discount on shit that I don’t even need. The only way that I’d get up at 4 in the morning on my day off to go shopping is if plasma tv’s went on sale for 100 bucks. Other than that I’d rather pay full price for something and not have to deal with lunatics trying to save 50 cents on a DVD.
    I felt the same 'till I saw how much money I saved last year on stuff I did need (and want).

I used to say "fuck no" but then I moved into a bigger house and have a ready made family. Changed alot o' shit for me.

It's funny that years ago I bought the 32" TV in my bedroom for $900. On BF, one can get a 55" HDTV for $800.

I have to agree with you though, Hank. If getting up at 4am is too much for a person to save hundreds of dollars on stuff they'd buy anyway then BF ain't for ya.
    Last edited by Busyman; 11-21-2005 at 04:20 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Didn't notice this before but on that website, Office Depot got totally carried and trounced for being assholes about the posting of their ads.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

It's funny that years ago I bought the 32" TV in my bedroom for $900. On BF, one can get a 55" HDTV for $800.
    The equivilant of $900 for a 32" tv over here is still not a bad price (assuming you meant LCD or whatever, not the olde fashioned style)

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

The equivilant of $900 for a 32" tv over here is still not a bad price (assuming you meant LCD or whatever, not the olde fashioned style)
    Nah man. I gotta a 32" CRT shoved into an armoire.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast