Thread: Might sound like a stupid question but...

Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Ok heres the deal i want a new PC case, coz the one ive got looks like its from the stoneage lol.

i dont have any problem picking a decent case or anything like its just how do i know when i buy a case that everything from this tower will go correctly and fit into the new one, are all cases built the same as standard inside?

could i just buy a random case from the net, and it work?

i wouldnt really even know how about fitting all the insides into a new case

help would be great
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Well are the cases are standarized, but they are divided into categories.

There are 3 main ones:
    1. Full Tower ATX
    2. Mid Tower ATX
    3. Micro ATX

For the average user, micro atx saves space and it's usually enough as it does have approx. 4 expansion bays. But I would usually get a Mid Tower just because its spacious and it has 10 expansion bays.

Other than that, pretty much anything is going to fit into those standarized motherboard/harddrive/optical drive slots.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    i think i'll go for the mid tower one then, sounds like the most sensible option, thanks

now i just have to familiarise myself with actually taking the stuff out of the old one and putting it into the new one.

i know the basics but never actually put it to the test
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzz
    i think i'll go for the mid tower one then, sounds like the most sensible option, thanks

now i just have to familiarise myself with actually taking the stuff out of the old one and putting it into the new one.

i know the basics but never actually put it to the test
    Then pay close attention to your front panel connectors (on/off, LEDs) before you begin.
    Everything else will only go one place/one way, but those headers can be tricky, 'specially if you have no manual or reference.

Depending on the case you choose, your power supply may have trouble stretching to all it's connections also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Take care with Micro-ATX cases. They aren't called "micro" for nothing, they will only take Micro-ATX motherboards.

Watch out with some of the cheaper end Midi-towers too, they often haven't got enough cooling ability (in other words you simply can't get enough fans in there) to handle high-end processors.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Only trouble I'v had is as clocker said was the led plugs like the reset and power plugs . My eyes are bad so the wife helped read them for me , my mobo manual was a great help tho . Good luck you can do it, mabye change your power supply while your at it ?

Also check out Tom's Hardware guide for help if you get stuck .

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-25-2005 at 01:38 AM.