Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barebones 360

iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Here's the deal, I don't wanna blow $500-$700 on a faulty 360, so if I were to get the $300 barebones 360 sometime next month...say Christmas? Could I purchase the 20GB HDD seperately at a later date?

2. Games   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    yeah, and its called a core, if you were to get the core you can upgrade the harddrive but its so expensive that way, but i guess its better then getting faulty parts, i would say just get the big pack for 400 and get a nice warrenty.LOL

3. Games   -   #3
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Blah...too much confusion and uncertainty for one system...lets not forget the money

4. Games   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    You would need a memory card @ $ 40 .00 cnd to play the old xbox games I'v heard tho .

The way I'm looking at it is I need a dvd player for my bedroom , that way I can use my old dvd and put the xbox in the kids room . The 360 would stay in the livingroom on the big screen . It should be thought of as an all in one entertainment centre ? Money is the hard part tho .
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-26-2005 at 05:46 PM.

5. Games   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    You would need a memory card @ $ 40 .00 cnd to play the old xbox games I'v heard tho .
    nah, you can use the x360 hard drive to play original games, save your progress, and get onto xbox live. $100 USD.

you can use the memory card to save your progress. $40 USD.

go with the hard drive, don't bother with buying a memory card.

also: the core system is a really poor value compared to the platinum system. much less bang per dollar. $300 USD for the core system, and then you WILL eventually want the hard drive, which brings the total price up to $400 USD. the platinum system is $400 USD and it includes the hard drive PLUS a wireless game controller (approx $40 value?) PLUS high definition video cable (approx $20-$30 value?) PLUS a remote control (approx $20-$30 value?) designed to make the multimedia features easier to use. i predict they will quietly withdraw the core system from the market after several months, due to low demand, after everyone figures out just how important the "optional" hard drive is (in order to access the console's full set of features).

as for why the hard drive is necessary for original xbox games: i don't think microsoft have been completely forthcoming about how the backwards-compatibility works. they claim that it's merely a matter of downloading "emulation software for original xbox games" from xbox live and storing them on the hard drive. my guess is that by "emulation" they actually mean they're altering & recompiling the game executables to run on the x360 processors, and replacing nvidia-specific graphics commands with ati-specific ones...

but what they're REALLY not making any effort to explain is the fact that original xbox games were all designed to use a hard drive. there's nothing they can do to change that without having a noticeable impact on performance. in contrast x360 games are all going to be designed to stream from the DVD and cache in the system RAM. game designers may be able to add an automatic hard-drive caching option to an x360 game if it detects the hard drive (which could help reduce load times for games with very large maps & textures and such), but they cannot assume the customer has the hard drive or require it for anything other than MMORPG-type games and downloadable content (since microsoft is selling the core systems and has only made the hard drive a prerequisite for backwards-compatibility & logging onto xbox live).
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-26-2005 at 09:45 PM.

6. Games   -   #6
    Member BT Rep: +1
    i would just wait for the 2nd or 3rd revisions on the x360 before id get it... most bugs are out of the system by v1.3 or 1.2
    also there arnt that many games out yet anyways u wont be the first to have it but at least u wont have a launch xbox with bugs.

7. Games   -   #7
    just buy a new pc

dont wanna give ya bad luck or jinx but most peopkle have run into problems with the cocXbox 360 so just stay away for now or save up for a ps3

8. Games   -   #8
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6
    yeah, and its called a core, if you were to get the core you can upgrade the harddrive but its so expensive that way, but i guess its better then getting faulty parts, i would say just get the big pack for 400 and get a nice warrenty.LOL
    You don't even need a warrenty for it. I think there is a default 90 day warrenty or something on it. Just need to call the Xbox number and tell them its defective and I think they will ship you a brand new one. Thats what I heard on the Xbox forums atleast..

9. Games   -   #9
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    nope microsoft is stupid when it comes to exchanges and refunds without giving them money

10. Games   -   #10
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    microsoft? why would u go to microsoft to return ur faulty merch? take it back to where you bought it from

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast