Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Hard To Be A White Man...

HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    It really is...

Able-bodied white men seeking a career in Canada's Department of Public Works had best wait awhile before submitting their resumes – the deputy minister of the federal agency has instructed managers to temporarily hire only visible minorities, women, aboriginals and the disabled.

David Marshall yesterday ordered that his edict banning hiring of Caucasian males be distributed throughout the agency by e-mail. The new policy, introduced in response to the department's failure to meet targeted employment-equity goals, will be in place for the next five months, at which time it will be reviewed.

Canada's federal benchmark for hiring visible minorities is one-in-five. Public Works' proportion of female, disabled, aboriginal and non-white new hires fell from one in eight in March to one in twenty in September of this year.

"As executives and managers, our role includes ensuring that the public service is representative," Marshall wrote in his memo. "This involves providing direction and leadership by example, and demonstrating a firm commitment to an inclusive workplace."

Robb Macpherson, a labor attorney with the firm McCarthy Tetrault, agrees Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms permits some discrimination to assist groups identified by the government as disadvantaged, but the form it usually takes is through programs that promote recruitment and hiring of qualified people from those groups – not by banning members of a non-minority class.

"They are in effect cutting off a significant portion of the workforce from these opportunities," Macpherson tells the National Post. "It sounds like a pretty extreme measure that they're contemplating."

Pierre Teotonio, a department spokesman, says the new policy is part of Public Works' involvement with the government's "Embracing Change" program and notes able-bodied white men can still be hired but only with written approval.

Nycole Turmel, president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, a federal public employee union that strongly endorses employment equity, is critical of its latest variation.

"I think it's creating a possible backlash against equity groups and then it's not helping these people to get into government," says Turmel. "It's even creating more frustration or anger from the workforce as well as from the population ... I am quite sure the people they hire will be competent and good employees, but that is not the point here. They will be seen as targets, and then people will question their hiring, and I don't think it will help them."

Public Works' Teotonio, responding to concerns, says, "This measure will be in force until March 31, 2006, at which time we will re-assess our progress."

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Next they'll deny male whitey the dole, and, in places like Canada, he'll be used as firewood to keep the minorities warm.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Next they'll deny male whitey the dole, and, in places like Canada, he'll be used as firewood to keep the minorities warm.
    It't dat sumfin'?

Male whitey been denying rights for centuries and because everyone supposedly has rights now suddenly...he cries foul.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It't dat sumfin'?

Male whitey been denying rights for centuries and because everyone supposedly has rights now suddenly...he cries foul.
    Quite.

You'll get to run the show for a bit, then the Muslims and Buddhists will do the same to you, or maybe they'll skip the part where you run things, depending on their patience/impatience.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    You can only hire due to a "level playing field", when you first level the field... if that makes sense.

Discrimination is institutionalised, and until we have the correct mix of those doing the hiring in the minorities, then it will continue to be that way.

However, women are not, and never have been a minority in the Civil Service.. so they should also be excluded for Advancement/Promotions on the same type of platform.

They ARE a minority in higher grade jobs, so they shouldnt be excluded.

This is just showing that i understand the reasoning, not that i agree with it btw... in the last 15 years in the UK Civil Service there is only one minority that is discriminated against (at least in our Agency) White Caucasion Males that are Hetrosexual.

The Union I belong to is doing its best to ensure that this minority knows its being discriminated against too by doing the same thing... but only if they're over 27.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-27-2005 at 08:22 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    You can only hire due to a "level playing field", when you first level the field... if that makes sense.

Discrimination is institutionalised, and until we have the correct mix of those doing the hiring in the minorities, then it will continue to be that way.

However, women are not, and never have been a minority in the Civil Service.. so they should also be excluded for Advancement/Promotions on the same type of platform.

They ARE a minority in higher grade jobs, so they shouldnt be excluded.

This is just showing that i understand the reasoning, not that i agree with it btw... in the last 15 years in the UK Civil Service there is only one minority that is discriminated against (at least in our Agency) White Caucasion Males that are Hetrosexual.

The Union I belong to is doing its best to ensure that this minority knows its being discriminated against too by doing the same thing... but only if they're over 27.
    I think I agree with you, RF

The only level playing field is one that does not specify in which sector Personnel/HR recruiters shoiuld endeavour to hire from.
    It's laughable that a more suitable candidate should be rejected because they are the wrong colour, white or otherwise.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    It't dat sumfin'?

Quite.

You'll get to run the show for a bit, then the Muslims and Buddhists will do the same to you, or maybe they'll skip the part where you run things, depending on their patience/impatience.
    Who's you?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

Quite.

Who's you?
    You=Other-than-whitey

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Who's you?
    You=Other-than-whitey
    So other than whitey is not Muslims and Buddhists? What about white Muslims and Buddhists. Are black Muslims included?

In the US, the late 60's still had tons of overt racism.

I guess it's all gone only 35 years later......

It's been eliminated like smallpox.
    Last edited by Busyman; 11-28-2005 at 02:33 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10

You=Other-than-whitey
    So other than whitey is not Muslims and Buddhists? What about white Muslims and Buddhists. Are black Muslims included?

In the US, the late 60's still had tons of overt racism.

I guess it's all gone only 35 years later......

It's been eliminated like smallpox.
    Oh, bullshit.

Blacks were more upwardly mobile, better-educated and their success track was much faster before Civil Rights or Equal Opportunity short-circuited them.

Success is what you need, but you've let Jesse and Al talk you into eternal victimhood.

Between the two of them, they've ruined the black mind-set, probably for good.

You're doing fine-why don't you become a "black spokesman" and tell them how you did it?

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast