Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LCD Monitors & DVI Vs VGA

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Must admit I've yet to have any major problems when it comes to LCD screens and games (and that's using a pretty cheap LCD monitor).

I'm not sure about specific gaming monitors (and the refresh rates since I just leave mine on default) but there are certain LCD monitors that are tailored for game playing so it's worth reading around.

In terms of ghosting I've yet to see any and understand it's less of a problem on the newer monitor releases. One problem you may want to look into is backlight bleeding which will effect darker games such as F.E.A.R. Whilst it's not a massive problem it may be off putting (as it causes light splotches around the edge of screens and makes it hard for the monitor to create a black colour, leaving a greyish feel) and be visibly different when compared to a CRT.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeK612
    One problem you may want to look into is backlight bleeding which will effect darker games such as F.E.A.R. Whilst it's not a massive problem it may be off putting (as it causes light splotches around the edge of screens and makes it hard for the monitor to create a black colour, leaving a greyish feel) and be visibly different when compared to a CRT.
    this is the reason i don't really want to upgrade to lcd yet. i want lcd cuz they save space and look better. not to mention just a lot lighter than it's crt counter-part, but i don't want performance hits either.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary

Frankly I wouldn't care for a monitor bigger then the 19" monitor I'm currently using.

But, isn't 19" is large enough for PC use? I mean, how much larger can they get? The manufacturers have already figured this out. Witness the introduction of the widescreen monitor, the newest trend.
    I have a friend that has a 32 inch LCD tv that he uses as a monitor, and it is damn nice. I have a 22 inch crt- damn heavy and a little dark, but hey, I got it for free, just had to fix the power button. if I get enough money this summer I will be definitly upgrading to >20" lcd
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    i was at frys this weekend and they had cod2 setup on a 42 inch widescreen lcd tv and it was bad ass. loved the way it looked. couldn't tell u if there was any ghosting or what not just for the fact i was taken in by the size of the tv and how much fun it was. lol, i'd have to actually watch someone else play the game on that for me to notice any deficiencies*.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    response time on that sux ballz
    You have to be careful comparing response times, most companies try to fool you by reporting Grey to Grey response which always looks like the monitor is really fast but Samsung chose to report the more acurrate response which is the minimum acceptable for gaming and I respect their honesty.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien
    response time on that sux ballz
    You have to be careful comparing response times, most companies try to fool you by reporting Grey to Grey response which always looks like the monitor is really fast but Samsung chose to report the more acurrate response which is the minimum acceptable for gaming and I respect their honesty.
    plz explain.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001072

8ms so its good for gaming

i have a 17 inch 12ms samsung and it rocks for CS, WoW, UT2k4

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien

plz explain.
    could someone explain what grey to grey response rate means and the difference between that and whichever ur other option is?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    plz explain.
    could someone explain what grey to grey response rate means and the difference between that and whichever ur other option is?
    Grey to grey is always faster than the real response time and so it is inaccurate. So don't go by grey to grey its always slower but I'm not sure how much exactly tho you might want to research.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Oh yea and I hear connecting ur monitor via DVI is faster and creates lest ghosting than VGA because it doen't have to go through digital to analog to digital its just digital strait to digital - so less ghosting. Not sure if ne one stated that yet...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast