Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School officials punishing kids for blogs

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I remember my school did this with AIM profiles. A teacher got a hold of a girl's screen name and suspended her for something that was in her profile. Thats dumb.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Why do you feel that the suspension is the punishment?

What suspension does is remove the punishment from the school and place it in the hands of the parent, in other words "your child is being disruptive and it is not our job to raise your child, so take her away and deal with him/her"
    The School is in loco-parentus, and hence the "responsible body", only during school hours (including travel too and from said institution)... as far as im concerned.
    "responsible body" means responsible for the safety of all in their charge. Schools must have a level of discipline but in todays schools "punishment" is limited. If a pupil causes concern the parents are usually called in to deal with it.
    In suspending the pupil the school is removing itself from being the responsible body.
    Suspension is a punishment, albeit that the pupil may not look at it that way.

It is denying the pupil an education that includes interaction with their peers, and possibly denying education altogether, for a period of time.

The pupil will probably look at it as a holiday, however it can have a large impact upon their entire future if its long enough.

Even a short suspension where the pupil takes it seriously, means that they have extra work to catch up on.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Suspension is a punishment, albeit that the pupil may not look at it that way.
    I realise how you are looking at suspension from the pupils point however that is not what I am saying. At least not in this case

If a pupil is disruptive (even because of something done outside school) then the school suspends them. the suspension is not to punish the child but to protect the school and its other pupils from the disruptive child (a sad fact of life in schools these days it seems). It is then up to the parents to take the steps to prevent the child's disruptive behaviour occurring again.

Oh how things have changed from my days at school where the cane ruled harshly.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    I remember my school did this with AIM profiles. A teacher got a hold of a girl's screen name and suspended her for something that was in her profile. Thats dumb.
    What was in her profile?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12