Thread: "Down to Earth"

Poster
    I have heard the expression 'Down to Earth' used to describe a person, or even people from specific areas. It always seems to relay something good, or desired, but I can't seem to put my finger on its exact meaning.

Do any of you use this description? What do you mean by it? I wonder where it came from.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    People who are really nice people basically. It's hard to describe but when you meet someone who is down to earth you know it. I know here in cali it's used a lot.
    Chill is another word usually used to describe down to earth people. but I doubt you can relate to that meaning.

urban dictionary does an ok job explaining it:linky link

hard to describe though. i think genuine is a good synonym for it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    So a person that is this way is not one to put on 'airs.' Genuine, not fake. More connected with other humans and this earth? Maybe less connected with 'self?'

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    So a person that is this way is not one to put on 'airs.' Genuine, not fake. More connected with other humans and this earth? Maybe less connected with 'self?'
    'Zackly.

One is up (the nose is, to be precise), the other, down...to Earth.

Like us.

This, as opposed to below it, which is another matter.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I can see how "down to earth" would play nicely with "living in an ivory tower" to illustrate extremes of attitude.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Okay. Well, I was a bit confused. I have been referred to recently as very 'down to earth.' At the same time my horoscope (okay, I admit, I glance at it every morning, mostly for a chuckle) keeps telling me to come down to earth, even going so far as to tell me to stomp when I walk to make the connection!

So I am thinking you can walk around with your head in the clouds half the time and still be down to earth....right?

kab, I have to admit the reference to George Bush in the link you provided threw me for a loop there a bit. But then that is a whole different thread.
    Last edited by Everose; 11-30-2005 at 07:17 PM.