Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans to Get Free City-Wide WiFi

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Explain to me.

What is wrong about doing more than one thing at a time?

Sure the electric and water isn't up in all places yet, sure there are still houses not rebuilt. Is the suggestion that the people that are tasked with these are somehow going to be hindered because other "less urgent" tasks are being carried out ? Has this work stopped to carry out other tasks? Are resources being taken away ?
    It's about priorities. There are so many other items on the list that need to be attended to before a city-wide WIFI stsyem is installed. That should be item #694 on his list. Instead, it's underway and to be completed within a year. I mean c'mon. I can just see him in the conference room while the levees are being repaired, discussing WiFi.

EDIT: You know, after thinking about this, it makes perfect sense. Residents who don't have cars or couldn't afford gas to drive out of the city in the face of Katrina have a real need for wireless connections don't they?
    Last edited by Skizo; 12-01-2005 at 06:58 PM.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Perhaps it will help "boost the city’s economy that was all but destroyed from the Hurricane Katrina disaster"? I'm just guessing like but that's what I got from the article.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Getting electricity to the rest of the city and getting residents (workers) back in their homes will do much more for N.O.'s economy that free WiFi. That's where he needs to concentrate his "efforts".

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Getting electricity to the rest of the city and getting residents (workers) back in their homes will do much more for N.O.'s economy that free WiFi. That's where he needs to concentrate his "efforts".
    Agreed. How will citywide Wi-Fi help the economy?

Money and resources have to be allocated to get it. There shouldn't be 1 cent allocated "to get on the internet".

This is something that established cities do, not ones that have just had the equivalent of a bomb dropped on it.

I like Nagin somewhat but he's being fucking stupid.
    Last edited by Busyman; 12-01-2005 at 08:46 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Use a context similar to that applied to Iraq.

Three months after the coalition invades, Baghdad is still sans much of it's infrastructure (electricity, water, etc.).

Bush announces city-wide Wi-Fi.

See what I mean?

This omits the fact that New Orleans is (and will be, likely for years) in much worse shape than Baghdad.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    The only good that will come out of all this is Mayor Nagin and the pinhead Governor will never get re elected. With the lower east N.O. being completely wiped out they lost a whole demographic of voters, which won them the elections last time. Those people aren’t coming back because most of them had nothing before the storm so their living conditions improved with getting relocated to other cities.

I met a guy who was from N.O. while I was in Chicago waiting for a flight home after the second hurricane. I saw he was using a Red Cross credit card so I asked if he was from N.O. and he told me yes. We talked for a while and he told me that he got a job in Chicago making more than twice than what he was being paid before and he was staying in a nice neighborhood. I asked if he was even going back and he said hell no that he’s much better off now than he ever was and his family felt a lot safer now.

Edit: Nice analogy J2
    Last edited by BigBank_Hank; 12-01-2005 at 09:06 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Internet > fresh water, electricity, education, people

????

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It worries me that Americans have so little confidence in their own ability to do more than one thing at a time.

I was unaware that nobody was working to fix the power lines. Although that would require civil electrical engineers and not communication engineers. But you are right, perhaps the communication engineers should stand around and do nothing or be given shovels.
    To me it seems a case of we are rebuilding so we might as well do it while we are at it.

If there was a case of they are putting wifi in instead of fixing the other stuff I could see your point but in all honesty it looks like they are doing it as well as fixing the other stuff.

Honest question.

Does NO have a city owned electric supply or is it a private company?
    Same question about the water supply

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I think that you’re having trouble grasping the scope of this Vid.

It’s been three months since the hurricane and there are still areas that are wastelands. Places that are completely littered with debris that needed to be cleaned up so that the roads can become passable again. It needs to be a all hands on deck type thing to clean the place up and make it livable first and not divert resources and man power to installing the internet that people can’t even use.

This is exactly what I mean by no leadership. Everyone in this mess has to work together as a team with everyone pulling in the same direction to rebuild the infrastructure.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    It worries me that Americans have so little confidence in their own ability to do more than one thing at a time.
    You're talking about a city that is the remnant of what it was; a Stone Age place.

Multi-tasking is a bit of a dream.

No doubt some of that is taking place, by there is no "cyber" aspect apparent.

BTW-

Mayor Nagin?

A little early to be running for re-election, isn't it?
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-01-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast