Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans to Get Free City-Wide WiFi

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    I think that you’re having trouble grasping the scope of this Vid.
    I get it perfectly well thanks

It’s been three months since the hurricane and there are still areas that are wastelands. Places that are completely littered with debris that needed to be cleaned up so that the roads can become passable again. It needs to be a all hands on deck type thing to clean the place up and make it livable first and not divert resources and man power to installing the internet that people can’t even use.
    so you think communication engineers should be given shovels
    This is exactly what I mean by no leadership. Everyone in this mess has to work together as a team with everyone pulling in the same direction to rebuild the infrastructure.
    And installing wifi as well as all the other stuff is pulling in the opposite direction how?

I agree with the poor view of nagin and his abilities in an emergency situation , however this seems to be more about politics that substance. If this was a case of J2's "ideal world" and the private sector was in charge, we would be hearing "all hail the private sector, look they are so efficient we even have wifi"...

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I think that you’re having trouble grasping the scope of this Vid.
    I get it perfectly well thanks

It’s been three months since the hurricane and there are still areas that are wastelands. Places that are completely littered with debris that needed to be cleaned up so that the roads can become passable again. It needs to be a all hands on deck type thing to clean the place up and make it livable first and not divert resources and man power to installing the internet that people can’t even use.
    so you think communication engineers should be given shovels
    This is exactly what I mean by no leadership. Everyone in this mess has to work together as a team with everyone pulling in the same direction to rebuild the infrastructure.
    And installing wifi as well as all the other stuff is pulling in the opposite direction how?

I agree with the poor view of nagin and his abilities in an emergency situation , however this seems to be more about politics that substance. If this was a case of J2's "ideal world" and the private sector was in charge, we would be hearing "all hail the private sector, look they are so efficient we even have wifi"...
    There's underground cable, telephone poles with aerial cable, central office network, etc to be taken care of.

DC doesn't have citywide wifi and is teaming with internet users so is it even a splinter in the mind's eye of NO? A citywide wifi does not boost the economy of NO unless goods and services are from....NO through that wifi network.

I bet their most basic communication infrastructure is fucked in many parts of the city.

SDRAWKCABSSA
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Use a context similar to that applied to Iraq.

Three months after the coalition invades, Baghdad is still sans much of it's infrastructure (electricity, water, etc.).

Bush announces city-wide Wi-Fi.

See what I mean?

This omits the fact that New Orleans is (and will be, likely for years) in much worse shape than Baghdad.
    I don't understand.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    If this was a case of J2's "ideal world" and the private sector was in charge, we would be hearing "all hail the private sector, look they are so efficient we even have wifi"...
    If the private sector were in charge, they'd be pressing for re-location.

In any case, they'd get it done faster, better, cheaper, and, yes, there would probably be WiFi, but only in due course.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Apparently you are having trouble gauging the scope of this.

Everyday new areas are made passable that previously weren’t where bodies are being recovered. There are still thousands that are missing or unaccounted for that families are desperate to know where their loved ones are. So if everyone can do pitches in and works together you can achieve something faster. So yes I would put a shovel in the hands of a communications engineer because he’s an able bodied worker that can help to speed up the task.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

Everyday new areas are made passable that previously weren’t where bodies are being recovered. There are still thousands that are missing or unaccounted for that families are desperate to know where their loved ones are. So if everyone can do pitches in and works together you can achieve something faster. So yes I would put a shovel in the hands of a communications engineer because he’s an able bodied worker that can help to speed up the task.
    There were some technicians from Verizon sent down to help with the communication work and they end doing "other shit" to help.

Things just kinda work out that way.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Not at all. To me it seems that you are unable to gauge the vastness of the ability to achieve things the USA has at local and national level. An odd view in my opinion and possibly even a defeatist view.

Ok lets keep all the restaurants closed as the waiters are able bodied. Auto repair shops as well.
    Good manpower management is not about numbers, it's about putting the right people in the right place.

BTW I thought the "clean up" was in the hands of no bid private contracts...surely this means it was done yesterday

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Not at all. To me it seems that you are unable to gauge the vastness of the ability to achieve things the USA has at local and national level. An odd view in my opinion and possibly even a defeatist view.

Ok lets keep all the restaurants closed as the waiters are able bodied. Auto repair shops as well.
    Good manpower management is not about numbers, it's about putting the right people in the right place.

BTW I thought the "clean up" was in the hands of no bid private contracts...surely this means it was done yesterday
    Waiters have shit to do with basic government infrastructure.

A citywide wifi network managed by the government for people to enjoy the internet has shit to do with basic government infrastructure as well.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over

I’m not saying that we aren’t able to chew gum and walk at the same time what I’m trying to say is that we need to prioritize. Lets get all the man power that we have get the cities vitals back up before we focus on getting them internet access.

Most of the businesses there are shut down anyway because there are no people to patronize them. Bourbon St. has reopened but it’s more of a symbolic thing and the airport is open but it has very limited flights arriving.

Now the airport is open but its very eerie in there because there is only one terminal open, one baggage claim that works and all the restaurants and shops inside are all closed.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    I’m not saying that we aren’t able to chew gum and walk at the same time what I’m trying to say is that we need to prioritize.
    Have these "priority tasks" not been addressed? is no action being taken? have they been ignored?

Lets get all the man power that we have get the cities vitals back up before we focus on getting them internet access.
    Where does it say the focus is Internet access ?
    New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has announced that the entire city of New Orleans will be blanketed by a free WiFi network within a year.
    It is one of the projects in the reconstruction. It is not taking priority over the "cities vitals"
    Judging by this over reaction one might think that Nagin said we are putting everything on hold so we can install wifi

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast