Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: New Orleans to Get Free City-Wide WiFi

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    They both fucked up.
    You swore.

I'm telling...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Poster
    Yes, it was fun!

I am remembering when Busyman used to go on rampages cussing all over the board.

I am understanding it even better now! IT FEELS GOOD!

To me this N.O. internet will also help people stay in contact with loved ones who are in the area working, etc.

But........it is what politicians do. mess up....scramble to save face and win votes back..........mess up, scramble to save face. Nagin messed up and now he is scrambling.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Yes, it was fun!

I am remembering when Busyman used to go on rampages cussing all over the board.

I am understanding it even better now! IT FEELS GOOD!

To me this N.O. internet will also help people stay in contact with loved ones who are in the area working, etc.

But........it is what politicians do. mess up....scramble to save face and win votes back..........mess up, scramble to save face. Nagin messed up and now he is scrambling.
    I'm thinking that wifi would help workers in the field access vital info and send info to others. A field tech has a laptop battery and hopefully power inverters in their vehicles.

I'm trying to see the upside to this.

I already see writing on the wall.

The grace period for mortgages (90 days) is over and as if on cue, market forces know no holidays when the money is due.

Many will claim bankruptcy (the new weird rules are in effect) and many will lose their homes. Guess who'll be moving into new hot real estate? Those that can afford it (and those that can afford to put their house on stilts ).

NO will be quite alright..but it'll take years.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Seems pretty stupid not to set up a wireless network in my opinion. The wi-fi network is being set up at a nominal cost as most of the equipment is from donations and can only help the rebuilding efforts in New Orleans. The network will also give a valuable boost for New Orleans' tourism trade, aid local law enforcement and aid returning businesses.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    never thought of tourism. it'll rawk tourism, like

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Seems pretty stupid not to set up a wireless network in my opinion. The wi-fi network is being set up at a nominal cost as most of the equipment is from donations and can only help the rebuilding efforts in New Orleans. The network will also give a valuable boost for New Orleans' tourism trade, aid local law enforcement and aid returning businesses.
    Riiiight free internet. That'll get me down there.

I see it working is if it's for communication and the underground and aerial cables are fucked. Maybe even VOIP (but the capacity seems rather low).

Government owned internet usually doesn't last because of the money drain.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Fortunately New Orleans' tourism trade doesn't rely solely on where the Busyman clan intend to spend their holidays.

I read somewhere that they will be outsourcing the service to a private company when it is set up and running.

Another use for the future: Emergency responders can be equipped with wireless devices that enable them to direct evacuees from the city in times of weather emergencies or environmental disasters. Traffic lights and billboards posting evacuation messages can also be controlled remotely over a wireless network. (That sounds to me like something they need within the year).

Also now is probably the best time to set up this network as due to the state of emergency in New Orleans they can bypass trouble with the phone companies.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Fortunately New Orleans' tourism trade doesn't rely solely on where the Busyman clan intend to spend their holidays.

I read somewhere that they will be outsourcing the service to a private company when it is set up and running.
    I read that's how it's always done irregardless to government owned interent.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456