Thread: Odd pauses in Games

Well ive had this computer for about 2 years now and everything i played on it was working fine until now.
    Now whenever I open a game I get these wierd pauses for about 5 seconds. it just totally freezes for 5 seconds about every minute or so. When its not frozen the games work at a good speed. ive pdated my video driver checked with spybot addware microst spycheck and norton, i havnt touched any of the overclock settings or any of those things except the page file (it was freezing before i touched the page file too).
    so far this has happened on Black and white 2 and need for speed most wanted. i wouldve have thought it was my computer if the games werent working at clean speeds when theyre not in "freeze mode".
    specs - 512 ram 2.6 P4 geforce fx5600

2. Games   -   #2
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    Quote Originally Posted by daniboy
    Well ive had this computer for about 2 years now and everything i played on it was working fine until now.
    Now whenever I open a game I get these wierd pauses for about 5 seconds. it just totally freezes for 5 seconds about every minute or so. When its not frozen the games work at a good speed. ive pdated my video driver checked with spybot addware microst spycheck and norton, i havnt touched any of the overclock settings or any of those things except the page file (it was freezing before i touched the page file too).
    so far this has happened on Black and white 2 and need for speed most wanted. i wouldve have thought it was my computer if the games werent working at clean speeds when theyre not in "freeze mode".
    specs - 512 ram 2.6 P4 geforce fx5600
    how very annoying

1. are your motherboard drivers installed?
    why? because you might need the motherbord AGP controller driver installed

2. go into the BIOS and set the agp aperture size to 64 or 128
    why? if this is set too low it is often known to cause stutters in games
    Last edited by Money Fist; 12-02-2005 at 01:48 PM.

3. Games   -   #3
    k im about to change the agp size but how can i check about the motherboard drivers? i dont remember installing anything for it

4. Games   -   #4
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Find the home page of your motherboard manufacturer. They ought to hve MB drivers for download.

5. Games   -   #5
    i have an msi 865 pe neo2 board and the only thing i could find was a bios update

6. Games   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i'm guessing you need more RAM. the game is probably locking up because it's using swap space for stuff that really should be in the RAM. try turning texture quality down in the mean time

7. Games   -   #7
    OK but for now would it help to change the page file settings? i was told that if you have 512 ram and more to set the minimum at around 200 and the max at a high number so thats what i did (max - 1000). but then i got a popup from the bar at the bottum telling me my page file minimum was too low. so what should i put for the minimum value. I have 512 ram

8. Games   -   #8
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    dunno. don't think it'll get rid of the slowdown though. the reason it jerks is because your PC puts data that can't fit in the RAM in swap space or page file, whatever you call it. then when your PC needs it, it loads it from the hard-drive as quick as possible, which isn't quick enough, and that's when your game freezes momenterily.

you might as well let windows handle it