Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus is an IDIOT!

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Angry

I was using my friend's computer yesterday, when all the sudden the cursor froze. I could still use my keyboard though. I thought it was just a glitch, but all the sudden weird sh*t started to happen. I noticed some kind of installer program open and close really fast.

I was sure this had to be a virus, so I decided to toss Norton and get AVG. I ran a spyware scan with CounterSpy and it found a Trojan Backdoor.

Norton allowed this trojan to install from a website! The software was kept up to date, but it still allowed that crap to get by. And what's hilarious is that the spyware application I installed awhile back detected the virus instead of the Antivirus software Norton! LoL? (The file was located in the Service Pack 2 folder for some odd reason)

Yea, so right now everything is back to normal after removing the trojan and I'm running an AVG scan to be safe. I'm thinking about putting two more antivirus apps on here, but disabling the Autoprotection they have and just using the Scan functions. Nod32 and Kapersky sound good? Or would you reccommend any others?

Maybe I should reinstall windows first, because this is my friend's computer and he runs an online store on here, so it's vital there's no assholes looking at his information.

Mother****ing trojan/hackers. I can't believe this.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-11-2005 at 12:44 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what about pc-cillin?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    No to pc-cillin. & yes thats what i run NOD32 resident & KAV on demand

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    thats the reason i dont use norton, the fact that it doesnt work when you most need it too it takes up an enormous amount of resources.

not worth it.

ive sampled avast, nod32, avg and others and found that they are all better than norton.

avast is my favourite though, its free too, you could give that a whirl
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Norton are assholes. I've tried to help this guy fix his computer and it seemed as though norton was causing some problems but it wouldn't let me uninstall. I tried the steps on norton's website but it didn't help.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    no problems with Symantec Corp
    (w/ AntiVir personal for a "second guesser")

see now, if any of you have ran NIS or NSW,
    you asked for the trouble you got
    it ties into the system too damned much IMO

Corp is lighter, free for life, and it doesn't lock up the system
    yeah NOD32 was nice, but I'm fuckin tired of jumping through hoops to get it to run
    (unless, of course, I actually felt like buying it)
    nsane had an easy way to get it going, but then you have to make sure the fixer is updated
    meh. too much shit. just install SAV Corp and it's ready to go

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka
    Norton are assholes. I've tried to help this guy fix his computer and it seemed as though norton was causing some problems but it wouldn't let me uninstall. I tried the steps on norton's website but it didn't help.
    So you tried that little program thing that they have on their site to uninstall norton? It worked for me

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    I was using my friend's computer yesterday, when all the sudden the cursor froze. I could still use my keyboard though. I thought it was just a glitch, but all the sudden weird sh*t started to happen. I noticed some kind of installer program open and close really fast.

I was sure this had to be a virus, so I decided to toss Norton and get AVG. I ran a spyware scan with CounterSpy and it found a Trojan Backdoor.

Norton allowed this trojan to install from a website! The software was kept up to date, but it still allowed that crap to get by. And what's hilarious is that the spyware application I installed awhile back detected the virus instead of the Antivirus software Norton! LoL? (The file was located in the Service Pack 2 folder for some odd reason)

Yea, so right now everything is back to normal after removing the trojan and I'm running an AVG scan to be safe. I'm thinking about putting two more antivirus apps on here, but disabling the Autoprotection they have and just using the Scan functions. Nod32 and Kapersky sound good? Or would you reccommend any others?

Maybe I should reinstall windows first, because this is my friend's computer and he runs an online store on here, so it's vital there's no assholes looking at his information.

Personally I have fixed more computers by removing AVG than Norton (any flavour).

Did you perform an online scan to double-check that AVG wasn't giving a false-positive? The location of it seems fishy to me.

I have used antivirus products from AVG, Norton (NAV & NIS), Symantec (SAV & SCS), Kaspersky, McAfee and Panda.

Panda wouldn't uninstall on a computer I looked at a fortnight ago, but it wasn't as bad as McAfee, which insisted on restarting after each infected file it found, no matter which option you chose)... and there were 64 infected files.

AVG free seems OK until you install something else and find all the stuff it doesn't know about. Uninstalling it is the first thing I do when I come across it.

Norton and Symantec are basically the same product, with different front-ends. Norton may use 64MB in the background, but the last time I looked at a system with Symantec installed (my own), that was using 45MB. When you've got a gig of memory to play around with, Norton doesn't impact much at all. There are some that recommend turning off the autoprotect but I disagree... see below.

Kaspersky is what I use and recommend. I install it on customers' somputers and tell them to pay for the updates when it runs out. It never fails to find stuff, whatever was previoiusly installed on the system.

NOD32 is probably the most effective and highly rated AV you'll find. If you want total protection, get it - and pay for it, otherwise you'll be chasing your arse every month as previously pointed out.

Now... why the hell would you want to turn off auto protection? What fucking use is that on a machine that's got very important information on it?
    There is little point installing any anti-virus in this case - you might as well perform an online scan once a week. There's a very great risk that some malware will be on there for four or five days doing its business before being removed.

Install Kaspersky set to check files when accessed abd run a full scan once a week and the system will be fine.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Kaspersky is what I use and recommend.
    Same here

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight

Personally I have fixed more computers by removing AVG than Norton (any flavour).

Did you perform an online scan to double-check that AVG wasn't giving a false-positive? The location of it seems fishy to me.

I have used antivirus products from AVG, Norton (NAV & NIS), Symantec (SAV & SCS), Kaspersky, McAfee and Panda.

Panda wouldn't uninstall on a computer I looked at a fortnight ago, but it wasn't as bad as McAfee, which insisted on restarting after each infected file it found, no matter which option you chose)... and there were 64 infected files.

AVG free seems OK until you install something else and find all the stuff it doesn't know about. Uninstalling it is the first thing I do when I come across it.

Norton and Symantec are basically the same product, with different front-ends. Norton may use 64MB in the background, but the last time I looked at a system with Symantec installed (my own), that was using 45MB. When you've got a gig of memory to play around with, Norton doesn't impact much at all. There are some that recommend turning off the autoprotect but I disagree... see below.

Kaspersky is what I use and recommend. I install it on customers' somputers and tell them to pay for the updates when it runs out. It never fails to find stuff, whatever was previoiusly installed on the system.

NOD32 is probably the most effective and highly rated AV you'll find. If you want total protection, get it - and pay for it, otherwise you'll be chasing your arse every month as previously pointed out.

Now... why the hell would you want to turn off auto protection? What fucking use is that on a machine that's got very important information on it?
    There is little point installing any anti-virus in this case - you might as well perform an online scan once a week. There's a very great risk that some malware will be on there for four or five days doing its business before being removed.

Install Kaspersky set to check files when accessed abd run a full scan once a week and the system will be fine.
    Thanks, I am running Kaspersky and Nod32 together now. Haven't seen any problems running them both active for a day now. good stuff, kaspersky just saved me from a virus infected copy of "CounterSpy" off emule. damn those fake cracks that always tend to have a White/Blank icon. I never run anything that's got a blank icon, and have never needed to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast