Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP 64-bit edition + AMD Sempron 64. Any problems with games?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well, I'm wonderin if there are any issues with any of today's latest games on the 64-bit edition? I'm just wondering, because the best graphics cards can only run in the 64-bit edition due the PCI-Express being on 98-100% (probably 100%) of "AMD 64-bit CPU Only" motherboards. It would be a bit of a pain in the ass if the best graphics cards couldn't even play all the games and such.

What about applications. I know 64-bit windows xp supports 32-bit apps as well, but there's got to be some issues.

Drivers for one thing, I have some hardware that will probably fail to run due to the lack of a 64-bit driver...but I'll just run em on the ol althon 'ere.

Microsoft made a list here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282423 ,but I bet theres more.
    No 16-bit apps will work...no problem,
    64-bit producing 32-bit MDACs...not sure
    64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer cannot load 32-bit ActiveX controls... Heh, that'll prevent all the ol spyware from installin, but the old pages wont work. Eh, good ones will always update their ActiveX controls, such as Flash and such.
    32-bit installer programs cannot load and register 64-bit DLLs...and why would they?
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-03-2005 at 02:27 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    32 bit Windows XP runs fine on that CPU also.

I recommend you stick with that for now. The 64 bit hasn't worked out enough of the compatibility issues imo.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234

I recommend you stick with that for now. The 64 bit hasn't worked out enough of the compatibility issues imo.
    Do you notice any difference in speed using the 64bit version vs. 32 bit version?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wew, that's good to hear. I really wanted to get the benifits of a new GeForce 7800GT I'm gettin for a christmas present. The only present I know about, so I'm pretty excited.

I had to buy a new mobo and 64-bit cpu with my own money to support the darn thing tho...fortunately all my other parts are in good shape. 1gb of DDR ram, 580W PS, 250GB HD+300GB, and some other stuff.

I'll probabaly have to do a "quick reinstall" of the windows drivers to get the motherboard and cpu working...am I correct? That way, I can keep all my software I have installed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234

Do you notice any difference in speed using the 64bit version vs. 32 bit version?
    I'm betting that only the "64 bit" applications actually show a significant increase in speed, but they are very limited. I'm lookin to use it when the 64-bit software is taking up atleast 50% of the market.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    I'll probabaly have to do a "quick reinstall" of the windows drivers to get the motherboard and cpu working...am I correct? That way, I can keep all my software I have installed.
    Repair install.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

I'm betting that only the "64 bit" applications actually show a significant increase in speed, but they are very limited. I'm lookin to use it when the 64-bit software is taking up atleast 50% of the market.
    WIndows XP 64bit IS the 64bit software.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    WIndows XP 64bit IS the 64bit software.
    Yes, but I'm speaking of 64-bit applications. I know xp is 64-bit, but I doubt that would increase the 32-bit application speeds that much, if any.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-03-2005 at 04:56 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I haven't noticed any speed improvement with x64 over the 32 bit XP. Didn't do any benchmark tests.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well, I like my speed improvements to be obvious to the eye, rather than just slightly faster in bechmarks. I think I'll stick the the 32-bit addition for now. Thanks for letting me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast