Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help connecting/configuring Sweex Broadband Router

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Hi guys..

First off, this is the router I bought: http://sweex.com/product.asp?pid=302

Second, the problem:
    I connected the WAN part of the router to my cable connection box, and the number 1 port to my PC's network card.
    Then, I connected 2 and 3 to 2 other computers who also have a network card (duhh...).

Now, a friend of mine said there was no configuring to do, and yes, the router started working for about 2 minutes then all fell... I did as the booklet said with renewing an IP adress and all of that, and my friend also gave a few hours into doing this work..
    Eventually I phoned the ISP, who did not help me much eaither.

Anyone know what I need to do? I have a dialup-cable connection with ACTCOM.co.il as my ISP. I am having great difficulties and frustration trying to do this thing, and have wasted much time on it.

thanks to all helpers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    What does it do or not do?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It's MEANT to do this: I connect it to my PC, then to 2 more PC's at home, then the internet is shared amongst the PC's.
    It doesn't do this - It works for like 2 minutes, then it fell and that was it, I couldn't get it to work at all.. My question is - is there any "special" configuration settings I need to do to get it to work?

I am out of ideas, and I have wasted loads of time on this, and it's frustrating me so much.....

Thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well define 'fell'. That's what I want to know.
    What does it stop doing? Drop the internet connection? Drop the network? Stop transferring data altogether or just internet data?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Sounds like a crappy router.
    Get a Linksys router and it'll keep those computers connected with a configuration you could always play with.
    Get a Linksys Switch and that'll split the connection pronto without any configuration needed.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well, as I said, this freind of mine took the router home, and it worked perfect, no screw-ups..

Here the connection falls all the time (@rossco: stops working, the connection stops working). I find it very odd thinking it worked for a few minutes then stopped for no good reason, and at another house it works perfectly ok.....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    When it falls (I think you mean fails or drops), can you still access the router itself via its local IP address (default is 192.168.2.1)?

Make sure you've got only one pc connected when you try the connection. You can add others later, but you need to know if it works with only one pc connected (if you haven't already tried it that way).

Are you using the same ISP as your friend? If so, did your friend have to enter his mac address or use the "clone mac address" function? If that's the case you have his mac address and any requests your system makes will probably be routed to his system. You need to reset the router's mac address to default, then restart the router.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    the router is connected to my PC, and it (my PC) connects fine to the internet. Thing is - any other PC I connect simply doesn't seem to "want" to connect through the router..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Any firewalls on the other pcs?
    Make sure the correct IPs are alowed in ones such as Zonealarm.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    the router is connected to my PC, and it (my PC) connects fine to the internet. Thing is - any other PC I connect simply doesn't seem to "want" to connect through the router..
    You gave the impression that after a couple of minutes nothing worked, not that the extra pcs did not connect.

That's the sort of information rossco has been asking you for. It is very difficult to diagnose what's wrong if you only tell us what you think is relevant, particularly when you obviously haven't got a clue what's relevant and what isn't.

Do you think you could answer my other questions, or do you think they aren't relevant either?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast