Thread: GPU overheating?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Recently I OCed my X800GTO to 570mhz core/530mhz memory from 400mhz core/490mhz memory.

After running a high-GPU intensive task for couple hours, such as doom3 and Farcry, my GPU gets to around 79 degrees celsius with fan speed at 95%.

When I run my GPU in silent mode, which lowers my card to 280mhz core and 343mhz memory, my GPU cools down to around 40 degrees celsius with fan speed at 54%.

All tests were done using the TriXX OC software that came with the X800gto. My maximum OC, 570 core/530 memory were done using the auto OC detection feature.

Question: I need my GPU to run at maximum speed, as on 1600 by 1200 with high details on modern games, without OC my card laggs behind -- will this damage my GPU or should I say WEAR OUT my GPU too fast (I want the card to last at least 3 years)?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I'm amazed that it continues to run at 79C.

Do you notice any distortions on the screen?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    VB, "core slowdown temp" on a nvidia 6800GT is 127C!
    There is even a checkbox to "notify in case temp reaches slowdown"...I didn't bother checking it cause I figured I'd see the card oozing from the bottom of the case.

These new vid cards operate at insane temps...I'd recommend you look into aftermarket coolers if you're going to OC the card and hammer on it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    These new vid cards operate at insane temps...I'd recommend you look into aftermarket coolers if you're going to OC the card and hammer on it.
    How good are those arctic cooling gpu coolers?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    How good are those arctic cooling gpu coolers?
    Like many units that try to cover the RAM chips AND the GPU core, AC has had problems with uniform contact.
    That's why they are now on rev.5 for the GT/GTX series coolers.

I'd prefer a cooler that covered only the GPU and used separate HS for the RAM.
    StasisThermal makes a really nice looking (and well reviewed) unit.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg