Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you like fixing nontweakers puters?

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I mean folks that aren't into computers. I don't. I have trouble bailing other peoples computers out. This sounds a bit mean spirited, but I don't mean it that way.
    By the time I get my hands on peoples puters they're generally so messed up it's not funny. I want to reinstall or do a clean install. But they don't want to back up their data. And they bitch they don't want to set it up again or they don't even have a copy of their OS. And I don't trust them enough if M$ leans on them.
    And a lot of these people, I've told them what to do beforehand. So as to avoid these problems. They don't want to put in the effort. So I think they get what they deserve. Hate saying that.
    If I fix such said systems they quickly get reinfected & they blame me. But when I tell people about maintenance on their computer. And I recommend an hour a week at least. And that I have at least 5 (probably 10) different programs other than an AV & PF to protect my computer. They look at me like I'm crazy.
    So let them throw out their computer once every 12-18 months if they're lucky. And think that it's broken. When I & others know the truth. I'd say way over 50% of the computers thrown out in the US have only software problems, not hardware.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    So let them throw out their computer once every 12-18 months if they're lucky. And think that it's broken. When I & others know the truth. I'd say way over 50% of the computers thrown out in the US have only software problems, not hardware.
    That makes the economy go around though so stop fkin it up by being nice...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I mean folks that aren't into computers. I don't. I have trouble bailing other peoples computers out. This sounds a bit mean spirited, but I don't mean it that way.
    By the time I get my hands on peoples puters they're generally so messed up it's not funny. I want to reinstall or do a clean install. But they don't want to back up their data. And they bitch they don't want to set it up again or they don't even have a copy of their OS. And I don't trust them enough if M$ leans on them.
    And a lot of these people, I've told them what to do beforehand. So as to avoid these problems. They don't want to put in the effort. So I think they get what they deserve. Hate saying that.
    If I fix such said systems they quickly get reinfected & they blame me. But when I tell people about maintenance on their computer. And I recommend an hour a week at least. And that I have at least 5 (probably 10) different programs other than an AV & PF to protect my computer. They look at me like I'm crazy.
    Hi Zapjb,
    my comment to you:
    Remember: To most people, the pc represents "Magic"
    You are the Magician and Grand Master.

The majority of the people view this object as an appliance. Your requests
    for them to "SERVICE" the pc is view with skepticism (me? not my job)

You must accept that your knowledge is special and most will never be
    able to fathom your special pc language and terminolgy. So, you will have to take out your frustration with this Forum, as we really do agree and
    understand what you are feeling about those you help.

Perhaps ,the younger ones will learn-------That is why I am here and so are you my friend. Keep up the good work.

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What gets to me the most is when they don't want to learn anything.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I don't have a problem giving peoples' computers a spring clean; after all, they pay me for it.

I know it gets a little boring uninstalling the mywebsearch, yahoo, ebay, google & msn toolbars and then explaining that the reason IE takes 10 minutes to load is because of these bolted on pieces of shit.
    Then, of course, you have to explain that Little Johnny won't find Bearshare or <pick infested p2p> on there and why... then recommend Shareaza instead... and why.
    What I like best is mom's face when I show her the list of files found by XsoftSpy & Adaware and she sees hundreds of entries for [email protected], johnny@sextracker[1].com etc.

Of course, she doesn't notice the mywebsearch or coolwebsearch entries because they don't jump off the page like those with 'sex' in them.

I have been to loads of places where the son has been downloading pr0n onto their computer and now it's acting up.
    You have to educate the parents and kids.
    I always explain to the kids about diallers, trojans, adware, malware & spyware. I also tell them that when a page pops a box telling you that you absolutely MUST click on a link to get what you want, just ignore it. If you keep refreshing you should get what you want, and if you don't get it in 20 seconds, go somewhere else.
    Parents usually aren't interested in specifics, so they get a very brief precis of what their hormone-driven son had, together with a reminder that a 15 year old's interest in naked women is natural and probably preferable to them than an interest in naked men.

Lately I've had a few connection problems. Mainly from cheap routers or cheap bulk-purchased-n-sold-on old Dells & Compaqs. Yeah, £50 is a good price for a computer, but an 800MHz Dell is not worth £20 even with the monitor. You can't tell the bargain-hunters that though, cos they just reply with the old 'I only want it for the internet, emails and playing solitaire... about 10 minutes before asking about installing a DVD burner & getting johnny's mate's HalfLife2 to run.

Anyway, I find the best thing is to always take along a CDRW disc of the latest versions of your favourite AV, Anti-Spy, Defragger & system cleanup tool (Ace Utilities! Yay!) and install them. Set the machine to AV scan and defrag once a week.
    It's not a bad idea to have a document on your CDRW disc with instructions in it for keeping a PC healthy with the tools you've installed and why they should do so... then you can copy it to the middle of the customer's desktop for them to 'discover'.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Reminds me of my PC support career in the Old Dos days !

Great reading !

Its funny computers are easier to use now, but they do require a lot of maintenance. Please tell my wife that when she nags at me to get of it !

Regards
    Digby

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I agree, I hate fixing people's computers that are like that.
    I hate even more when they tell me there's nothing wrong and wont let me fix it, that makes it even harder to tell them to keep it maintained properly.
    Of course then when I'm alone on their comps I fix it up and they come back and say i'm a genious for making their comp faster.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I don't mind fixing ppl's puters. I enjoy seeing the change from molasses to a nice clean setup that's speedy. It's the getting ppl to pay me that usually doesn't come easy. I think ppl feel if u can do it so easily why should u be paid. Or, if they know you you just have to do it. *sigh*

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Do like I do, install Remote administrator on their PCs. At least that way you dont have to get up off the chair or anything.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    "Zapjb", I totally agree,
    some times you go trough a lot of truble, even half a day fixin and trying things.
    and then next week the call saying that theyr comp is doing strange things a gain, and they even dare to imply that you are to blame this time.
    What ta', I mean, that doesn't feel good.
    And you can't mention music download cus they literally get freaked out and
    start telling long tales about when they got a virus from Kazaa,
    damn you people,
    I don't even bother anymore with explaining the proper p2p programs or the anty virus situation, its useless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast