Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm bored....

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Got a gripload of new (well, used, but new to me) cooling stuff coming, but won't see any of it till later next week (strange how folks want to get paid immediately but will delay shipping till it's convenient for them...).

The G5 project is making baby steps towards completion.
    I have an Innovatec Convect-o-Matic passive rad as well as the Ehiem pump/Tank-o-Matic reservoir on the way, along with some AquaComputer blocks.
    The look seemed right for the Apple case and I wanted to try a low-flow, small bore system anyway.
    Still looking for suitable innards for this case, mainly mobo and CPU.
    A small nf4, s939, non-SLI board would be ideal...I'm open to suggestions.
    Probably plug a 3000 Venice into it with maybe a 6600/6800GT vid card.
    I'd like to keep my current board/chip/RAM combo intact (cause they seem to work together so well) and just have a whole 'nother PC to play with.

For Sprocket's current Stacker I have a BIX3 radiator on the way.
    Total overkill, but it was a sweet deal and I need to get the 302 HC I'm currently using out of the Stacker anyway.

I've sold the Silverstone TJ06 case complete with a pre-installed waterloop (which is why I need the 302 heatercore- the case was cut to fit it specifically). So far only the case and rad have been finalized but I'm hopeful that the PolarFlo pump and CPU block will also be included (almost certainly the pump will go but he may insist on the DangerDen TDX CPU block instead).

I also have a buyer lined up for the Stacker (just the case, sadly) in the event that the TJ07 really does become a "must have" item.
    Won't really know that till after Christmas though.

So I'm bored.
    Sprocket is running great, I have no new hardware to tinker with and it's too cold outside to play croquet.
    Entertain me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    well hmm i could say something like wow or eat me but im saying, im bored too and i have to study for finals

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Good thing you didn't respond with "Eat me".

I might have been provoked into saying something nasty about Hermione.
    Last edited by clocker; 12-11-2005 at 04:45 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    ferk u and ur fancy water/exotic cooling...air cooling should more than suffice for 99% of the population. Oh wait, that still leave 1% of cooling extremists like you.

Check this out: LIQUID NITROGEN COOLING!!!
    http://www.hardwareasylum.com/forums...read.php?t=901

Kinc is my idol
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Good thing you didn't respond with "Eat me".

I might have been provoked into saying something nasty about Hermione.
    @Seedler, dont "feck" clocker.... he's 1337.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    Check this out: LIQUID NITROGEN COOLING!!!
    http://www.hardwareasylum.com/forums...read.php?t=901
    ummm......no fuckin way.

ice crystals on the GPUs?
    what happens to ice when it thaws?
    water.
    what happens when you mix electricity and water?
    zap. waste of prolly $2000 USD
    -171 C?
    wouldn't the components be brittle enough to just fuckin shatter if bumped?

has to either be a gag or someone has more money than brains,
    or am I missing something?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    You are missing something.

Extreme overclocking is a "sport" that begins and ends with liquid nitrogen.
    All of the PCBs and associated parts are sprayed with a conformal (i.e. "waterproof") coating and sealed with dielectric grease.
    The rig is turned off long before the ice has a chance to melt, so I'd guess it survives most of the time.

Clearly, this is the extreme end of the cooling spectrum with few participants and no pretense of anything save breaking records.
    Back it down a notch and you come to the phase-change crowd who are essentially using refridgeration units to operate in the -30 to -50c range constantly.
    The Vapochill series is probably the most popular unit and they show up in the classifieds for around $400-600 depending on the spec.

Condensation does become a real problem for this group as they are running the units much longer than the nitrogen guys.
    The cooling socket is sealed to the motherboard with foam and grease and the backside of the motherboard is heated to prevent water from condensing. It's pretty common to see highly clocked chips running at -40c for days on end with these rigs.

And you thought I was nuts.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T

Extreme overclocking is a "sport" that begins and ends with liquid nitrogen.
    All of the PCBs and associated parts are sprayed with a conformal (i.e. "waterproof") coating and sealed with dielectric grease.
    The rig is turned off long before the ice has a chance to melt, so I'd guess it survives most of the time.

Clearly, this is the extreme end of the cooling spectrum with few participants and no pretense of anything save breaking records.
    Back it down a notch and you come to the phase-change crowd who are essentially using refridgeration units to operate in the -30 to -50c range constantly.
    The Vapochill series is probably the most popular unit and they show up in the classifieds for around $400-600 depending on the spec.

Condensation does become a real problem for this group as they are running the units much longer than the nitrogen guys.
    The cooling socket is sealed to the motherboard with foam and grease and the backside of the motherboard is heated to prevent water from condensing. It's pretty common to see highly clocked chips running at -40c for days on end with these rigs.

Yeppers, but the life span of these parts can't be very long at all...
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Why not?
    As long as condensation is held at bay the CPU should be lovin the low temps.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.

ok, so they're not like me, get a bright idea and just say to hell with precautions?

you said it, not me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast