Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Don't drop out and drive '

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    You are right on all counts; he was, in fact, so enthusiastic about the Nazi cause he discomfited Herr Hitler mightily by flooding the German roadways with his automobiles.

This spurred Hitler to enlist F. Porsche to develop his Volkswagon.

Still doesn't make him a Nazi, sorry.

Hitler himself was a poor excuse for a Nazi, being Jewish and all-he was Schickelgruber/Salemon specie, as I recall.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck you must begin to suspect it is some species of aquatic fowl.

He was a feckin nazi, whether he ever joined the party or not.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    You are right on all counts; he was, in fact, so enthusiastic about the Nazi cause he discomfited Herr Hitler mightily by flooding the German roadways with his automobiles.

This spurred Hitler to enlist F. Porsche to develop his Volkswagon.

Still doesn't make him a Nazi, sorry.

Hitler himself was a poor excuse for a Nazi, being Jewish and all-he was Schickelgruber/Salemon specie, as I recall.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck you must begin to suspect it is some species of aquatic fowl.

Pffft.

I have a cat that quacks like a duck; if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.

I'd bet I could teach you to do it inside 30 seconds.

We may need manker's services here...
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-17-2005 at 08:55 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23

if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.
    Which part would one need to press to achieve this duckly curmudgeon.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24

if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.
    Which part would one need to press to achieve this duckly curmudgeon.

The duckly curmudgeon button, obviously.

It is clearly labeled.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    In the 1920s and 1930s a great many people were extremely sympathetic towards Franco, Mussolini and Hitler and the other rather totalitarian right wing leaders of the time (ie the Romanian royal family - not to mention members of our own royal family). Being a Fascist pre 1939 was not considered an insult by those leaned in that direction.

Anti-semeticism was rife and in Europe and the US. Prejudice and discrimination were commonplace. Groucho Marx passed comment to this effect in referring to his difficulty in joining his local golf club although lesser lights in the Jewish community suffered far more degrading prejudice.

During this period, eugenics societies were unembarrassed about discussing improving the gene pool and in a number of US states criminals (often black) were sterilised as a matter of course.

It was only after the horrors of the Nazi regime were revealed in the late 40s that everyone began to (rather sharpishly) distance themselves from such points of view and personal histories were re-written.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    In the 1920s and 1930s a great many people were extremely sympathetic towards Franco, Mussolini and Hitler and the other rather totalitarian right wing leaders of the time (ie the Romanian royal family - not to mention members of our own royal family). Being a Fascist pre 1939 was not considered an insult by those leaned in that direction.

Anti-semeticism was rife and in Europe and the US. Prejudice and discrimination were commonplace. Groucho Marx passed comment to this effect in referring to his difficulty in joining his local golf club although lesser lights in the Jewish community suffered far more degrading prejudice.

During this period, eugenics societies were unembarrassed about discussing improving the gene pool and in a number of US states criminals (often black) were sterilised as a matter of course.

It was only after the horrors of the Nazi regime were revealed in the late 40s that everyone began to (rather sharpishly) distance themselves from such points of view and personal histories were re-written.
    So there.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    how do you people manage to turn a topic about not being able to leave school and drive into a discussion about whether or not Henry Ford was a nazi

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Although we may make it look simple it is in fact due to years of hard work and practice.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Although we may make it look simple it is in fact due to years of hard work and practice.
    JP and I are the forum's foremost practitioners of the various O.T. arts.

We've had to refine our talents for use in The Drawing Room, otherwise the mods would give us the toss, you see.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    how do you people manage to turn a topic about not being able to leave school and drive into a discussion about whether or not Henry Ford was a nazi
    The chap who started the thread mentioned that Mr Ford had left school early and had still turned out OK.

I thought it worthy of mention that he (Ford, not Moss) was an anti semite who published pamphlets supporting his view, a financial / ideological supporter of the nazi party, a war profiteer and a generally all round bad egg.

j2 just talked pish trying to defend the actions of a great American capitalist hero, as is his wont.

The rest, as they say, is chmistry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast