Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: stereo cd-r playback

my friend got rid of his stereo because it didnt play burned cd's.is there anyway of modding the stereo to playback cd-r cds.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    i dont think so. Old ones cant play cd-r's. i dont know why.

maybe he burned an mp3 cd. did he make an audio or mp3 cd?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    i dont think so. Old ones cant play cd-r's. i dont know why.
    I have one that says made in 1988 that plays cd-rs fine.
    I think it's jsut to do with the quality/power of the lens.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    DAMN!! 1988. how much did that thing cost back then??

What brand is it.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's a maganavox CDB582. says october 1988 on the back.

We didn't buy it, someone gave it to us about 6 or 7 years ago and tht was our first cd player.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s.

I have several players which specifically disavow MP3 compatibility, and they all play them anyway.

I agree that there must be a narrow field of lens manufacturers whose products tolerate MP3s although the end retailer warns they won't play.

I know some of this can be mitigated by not pressing the burn rate on MP3s, but I've not had the problem, so...

Insofar as some lenses are used generically (and some digital converters likewise), it might pay to investigate who builds what for whom, and thus discover whose products might work for MP3 playback.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s.

I have several players which specifically disavow MP3 compatibility, and they all play them anyway.

I agree that there must be a narrow field of lens manufacturers whose products tolerate MP3s although the end retailer warns they won't play.

I know some of this can be mitigated by not pressing the burn rate on MP3s, but I've not had the problem, so...

Insofar as some lenses are used generically (and some digital converters likewise), it might pay to investigate who builds what for whom, and thus discover whose products might work for MP3 playback.
    what does the lens have to do with playing mp3s. if the machine doesn't know how to decode them then the lens matters not one fig.

are you sure you have a 10 year old cd player which plays mp3 files, did you perhaps dream this, after much appleing.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

8. Lounge   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I'm pretty sure the MP3 wasn't around until after 1995 so I doubt your player plays MP3 cds.
    I tihnk you might be getting confused between an MP3 disc and an audio disc made from mp3s.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    I'm pretty sure the MP3 wasn't around until after 1995 so I doubt your player plays MP3 cds.
    I tihnk you might be getting confused between an MP3 disc and an audio disc made from mp3s.
    they were around before 1995, but not anywhere near as common. tho' i'm not sure if they were used in domestic appliances, probably just a computery type thing way back then
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

10. Lounge   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    JP-

Decoding, right.

In any case, I am quite sure my Onkyo DX-C211 6-disc changer plays MP3s, as I am (as I type this) playing an old 8X MP3 I burned in my 2001 vintage NEC NR7800A which was OEM on my Dell.

The dulcet tones of Ella Fitzgerald emanating from my Klipsch RF-35 speakers are lovely, indeed.

BTW-Ross...

These are originals ripped to MP3 format and played in my CD player.
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-17-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast