Thread: Web Accelerator 1.9

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I don't know what to make of this program. It's freeware.
    App dl & homepage
    hxxp://www.majorgeeks.com/Web_Accelerator_d4672.html
    hxxp://www.defendgate.com/products/webAcc.html

From their site:
    1. Slim and stylish web accelerator interface that is un-obstructive and fully moveable to your preferences
    2. Works with existing dial-up or high-speed Internet service
    3. Internal web acceleration features to speed up your web surfing experience
    4. Fast access to Google cache for accelerated page loads
    5. Slim and stylish desktop search interface that is un-obstructive and fully moveable to your preferences
    6. Accelerated web search that provides accelerated access to 20+ popular search engines so you can find information fast.
    7. Full-text accelerated file search access to your hard drive(s) using the same integrated interface as your web search
    8. Accelerated access to 19 popular news titles so you can find news fast

But it looks like it only accelerates searches. I'm very hesitant to install this. I looked over the screenshots. Is it a toolbar? Does it work for Opera & FF? Or just IE? Is it spyware & adware free? I can't find any of these answers. Somebody on another site recommends it. Says it's good & accelerates surfing. On dialup, which I have. And I don't know this guy. Web wise I mean. Could be a total n00b. With a spyware infested comp. No offense bud if you're reading this. Any experience with this app. I'm not expecting the impossible, like faster dl's. Just faster surfing through compressed web pages. And no I'm not going to shell out $50 a month for a faster connection. I'm getting a good deal, $5 a month unlimited dialup. Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Do those actually work? I thought they were all spyware or useless programs just like those "Memory Ehancer" programs that just move stuff from your RAM, to your page file... USELESS.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The subscription based ones work. But just as I said.
    I'm not expecting the impossible, like faster dl's. Just faster surfing through compressed web pages.
    But I'd like to know about this one. Hence my topic. Start your own topic if you got general questions. I have very specific questions.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think this service downloads webpages from it's cache. It gives you cached pages with optimized images, so things move quicker. No big difference of broadband.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah but look at the homepage screenshots. I don't know is it a toolbar? Does it work for Opera & FF? Or just IE? Is it spyware & adware free? I can't find any of these answers.
    And btw I have dialup.
    Last edited by zapjb; 12-20-2005 at 02:28 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I dunno... anything besides TCP Optimizer probably does the same or doesn't work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I gotta say. In my case, dialup. This program is loading pages quicker. No miracles. But faster.