Thread: A little problem, or what i like to call a challenge

ok here's the deal, i'm looking for a fully custimizable filesharing program that i can use in a local area network situation.
    now for the details... at the moment i'm in residence in college and i'm connected to the college network and to the internet via proxies. its pretty set that we cannot use any p2p software to download any files from external sourses but i need my fix of file sharing!
    the answer we have come up with is to set up file sharing within residence (which will be pretty effective if we get it going) but i don't know how to do it. we can't just use shared docs accross the network cos we have fierce security issues within the network and for it to work we would need to give everyone involved our usernames and passwords, thats not an option.
    anyone out there that has any suggestions please do share

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I've heard of ppl use itunes to share files with each other in the network

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I'd be inclinded to use somthing with encrypted transfers so the college IT people can't easily sniff the traffic.
    Perhaps waste, the need to excahnge crypto keys to get on the network limits means you have to be allowed in by someone already connected. The source is out there if you have someone with programming skills to customise it. It's been a couple of years since I used it. My mesh got a bit flakey when it had 80-100 nodes connected (3TB of files shared).
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Well ive heard that using dc++ in a campus network is often done and works pretty good
    Open your mind

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Quote Originally Posted by nanotek
    Well ive heard that using dc++ in a campus network is often done and works pretty good
    Yes, my cousin says that Dc++ is very popular, everyone just shares files for one another. Or you could program your own?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    hmm well dc++ is open source so it would be possible to modify it and make your own client if your into progging

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=40287

here should be the source code
    Open your mind

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    nuts, beat me to it..

I'd recommend DC++ as well.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    hmm... looks like i'm gonna have to go look up this DC++ then!
    only thing is i'm not too handy on the whole programing, yet! i'm in first year of computer science so no doubt i'll be able to get some sort of help around the place, but i wonder if anyone could point me towards any good online resourses to find info on DC++, that would be a great help!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    ok, real_ate.
    if u get any success, share here.
    Crazy about filesharing