Thread: RAR Password Cracker

Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    It is shareware...

"This program is intended to recover lost passwords for RAR/WinRAR archives of versions 2.xx and 3.xx. The program finds by the method of exhaustive search all possible combinations of characters ("bruteforce" method), or using passwords from lists ("wordlist" or "dictionary" method). Self-extracting archives and multivolume archives are supported. The program is able to save a current state (you can interrupt the program at any time, and restart from the same state later). Estimated time calculator allows you to configure the program more carefully."

http://www.rarpasswordcracker.com/

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I am pretty sure rar password crackers can take days to find the correct password, and hog system resources?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    good point

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I find these pw crackers useless. Unless I had a Craig supercomputer or todays equivelant.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I find these pw crackers useless. Unless I had a Craig supercomputer or todays equivelant.
    they can be useful the only problem is that people have got smarter and started using longer passwords which can take a while to bruteforce.

you dont need a cray supercomputer to crack passwords. lophtcrack used to take about 20 mins to guess all the user passwords on my machine and that was only a p3 600 mhz machine. hell with the use of rainbow tables recently i managed to guess all my passwords in about 5 seconds.
    Last edited by 4play; 12-28-2005 at 11:40 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    lol yeah it's Cray

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Personally, I would sugguest just Googling the entire file name, and then add "password" to the search and see what turns up, that usually works for me, but then again I dont download too many password-protected files.