Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friends Computer F**ed up

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Hey everyone. My friend's computer has gone apeshit. It has 256 ram, and a 1 ghz processor with windows me. The thing is, when it boots up to the desktop, all these errors start happening. I think some mcaffe program has an error, then a dll has an error, and then the computer really starts slowing down and messing up, and then it says explorer had an error, and I have to click ok for all of these things to go away, and when I click ok for explorer, the whole computer freezes, and it does the same thing in safe mode. I cant access any restore points, how can I fix is computer without reformatting? I dont want to have to do that, but if I have to, then I want to know how I can save some files? Help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that after all of these errors happen, one is unable to do anything on the computer, cant open folders, cant open start icon, cant ctrl+alt+delete either..
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-23-2005 at 04:02 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    1st its ME. So imo(e) you're SOL. 2nd I believe the file system is FAT32. So you could try running the HDD as a slave in another Win OS running FAT32. There are programs that let puters running NTFS read FAT32. Then as soon as you can put 2000 or 98se on that puppy. GL.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Make a copy of BartPE on another computer and you'll be able to copy the files to another hardrive or partition. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    It uses WindowsXP, but it's extremely barebone and runs off the CD. 1ghz with 256mb ram should be able to run it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    ... There are programs that let puters running NTFS read FAT32...
    Systems running NTFS can read FAT32. No program needed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    ... There are programs that let puters running NTFS read FAT32...
    Systems running NTFS can read FAT32. No program needed.
    indeed. I use FAT32 to copy files from OSX to Windows XP on my External Hardrive. There is a 4GB limit for files though, but that's not a problem for me. OSX reads and writes Fat32, but can only read NTFS. Once I connect the hardrive to Windows XP, I copy the files of that small FAT32 partition onto the larger NTFS one. works like a charm.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    OK maybe it's the other way round.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Okay so can you guys like guide me what to do? I dont really understand what you guys mean. I have a general understanding of computers and their components so you dont have to dumb it down too much, just tell me what I need to do. Thanks in advance, I can see from what you guys have told me I should have luck with this, I just need to know what to do!
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-24-2005 at 02:35 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    , how can I fix is computer without reformatting?
    You can't fix it without deleting the windows directory or formatting. If it has windows ME on it it is broken by design.

how I can save some files? Help!
    As zapjb has already mentioned you can get some screwdrivers, remove the
    harddrive and put it in another computer as secondary drive. Take basic anti static precautions such as touching a bare metal part of the case before touching circuit boards and not working on it on a nylon carpet.
    You will probably need to change the jumper setting on the drive to make
    it a secondary.

Alterativley you may be able to find a boot CD that will recognise the network card so you can copy files to anther computer over the network.

Okay so can you guys like guide me what to do?
    Obtain install media for an operating system that works properly such as windows XP. Check for availabity of hardware drivers.

Copy all the important files onto seperate media. Make a second backup copy. Remember things like microsoft outlook mailbox's in windows\application data\outlook

Either delete everything on the harddrive or put in a different one just in case you missed some important files.

Install windows 2000 or XP. Either a)before connecting the computer to the internet install a personal firewall and set it to block incoming connections or
    b)put it online behind a NAT router for basic protection.
    Install hundreds of megabytes of updates from windows update.

Install an alternative browser and hide the IE icons. Firefox 1.5 has some issues, you probably want to use an older version such as 1.07, link

Install three dozens applications such as acrobat reader, cb burning software, winamp, videolan etc.

Burn the windows ME CD while muttering obscenitys about Microsoft and Bill Gates.
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 12-24-2005 at 03:02 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv
    You can't fix it without deleting the windows directory or formatting. If it has windows ME on it it is broken by design.

how I can save some files? Help!
    As zapjb has already mentioned you can get some screwdrivers, remove the
    harddrive and put it in another computer as secondary drive. Take basic anti static precautions such as touching a bare metal part of the case before touching circuit boards and not working on it on a nylon carpet.
    You will probably need to change the jumper setting on the drive to make
    it a secondary.

Alterativley you may be able to find a boot CD that will recognise the network card so you can copy files to anther computer over the network.

Okay so can you guys like guide me what to do?
    Obtain install media for an operating system that works properly such as windows XP. Check for availabity of hardware drivers.

Copy all the important files onto seperate media. Make a second backup copy. Remember things like microsoft outlook mailbox's in windows\application data\outlook

Either delete everything on the harddrive or put in a different one just in case you missed some important files.

Install windows 2000 or XP. Either a)before connecting the computer to the internet install a personal firewall and set it to block incoming connections or
    b)put it online behind a NAT router for basic protection.
    Install hundreds of megabytes of updates from windows update.

Install an alternative browser and hide the IE icons. Firefox 1.5 has some issues, you probably want to use an older version such as 1.07, link

Install three dozens applications such as acrobat reader, cb burning software, winamp, videolan etc.

Burn the windows ME CD while muttering obscenitys about Microsoft and Bill Gates.
    Alright, I have a copy of Windows Xp Pro Corp, can I use that? And then I just load it in, and boot from the disk? And then just copy what he needs to like a ton of floppy disks, or burn them to cds? (He just needs photography that he didnt save on flash memory). If that would work I dont see any need of switching the hdd's, I wouldnt want to fuck up another computer.
    Last edited by orcutt989; 12-24-2005 at 03:42 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    My fn quote button isn't working atm.
    "Alright, I have a copy of Windows Xp Pro Corp, can I use that? And then I just load it in, and boot from the disk? And then just copy what he needs to like a ton of floppy disks, or burn them to cds? (He just needs photography that he didnt save on flash memory). If that would work I dont see any need of switching the hdd's, I wouldnt want to fuck up another computer."

Nope reread the previous answers. He'll lose all his data if you do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast