Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: More Powerful Than The Government?

Check this out.............

LINK

They are getting absolutely ridiculous. I'm sick of these people saying we can't share what is rightfully ours in the first place. Sorry, but once i buy a CD, its MINE, not anyone elses, and if i choose to share what i buy with my friends, then what is wrong with that?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    technically you buy the cd but you dont own the music so you can share the physical cd but not the music on it,at least according to the law in the US

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Ex-member
    according to international copyright laws too.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"@20 April 2003 - 15:44
    technically you buy the cd but you dont own the music so you can share the physical cd but not the music on it,at least according to the law in the US
    Actually, this is exactly the problem. There is no law defining this. The only thing that is truly "illegal" is copying, and redistribution for profit, without paying royalty rights.

For instance, lets use Linkin Park's new CD as an example. If I purchase the CD, then play all the tracks backward, and resell it as Pinkin Lark, is there are specific law against that? No. It is assumed that the content is owned by Linkin Park, but this is not clearly defined.
    Proud member of MDS

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    You are missing the point of the law. The content belongs to that artist, under the copywright statutes, regardless of how it's modified. There are many landmark infringement cases where plagiarism has been found where the music laymen would be hard-pressed to see the resemblance to the protected material. Linkin Park backwards would be a slam dunk.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@20 April 2003 - 17:39
    There are many landmark infringement cases where plagiarism has been found where the music laymen would be hard-pressed to see the resemblance to the protected material.
    Once again, you are missing the point.

Plagiarism refers to a piece of writing, i.e. print media, not music. Would I be committing plagiarism if I were to sing along with Linkin Park while I heard their song on the radio?

RESEARCH OR BEAT IT!
    Proud member of MDS

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler+20 April 2003 - 17:15--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 20 April 2003 - 17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TIDE-HSV@20 April 2003 - 17:39
    There are many landmark infringement cases where plagiarism has been found where the music laymen would be hard-pressed to see the resemblance to the protected material.
    Once again, you are missing the point.

Plagiarism refers to a piece of writing, i.e. print media, not music. Would I be committing plagiarism if I were to sing along with Linkin Park while I heard their song on the radio?

RESEARCH OR BEAT IT&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Sorry, Jibbler, but tis you who needs to do some research.

Plagarism laws are very much applicable to music also.
    Your singing of a song is completely legal, but sharing Linkin Park&#39;s new CD, whether you bought it or not, is without a doubt in violation of international law.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Anyone,

Quote me an international law.

Other Than CRIJICA.

I already know that one.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by JmiF@20 April 2003 - 18:49
    Anyone,

Quote me an international law.

Other Than CRIJICA.

I already know that one.
    Berne Convention, as revised, article 3

I think that is fairly concise. I&#39;m not a lawyer and I got the general drift.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by clocker@20 April 2003 - 19:37
    Plagarism laws are very much applicable to music also.
    Once again, this applies to written work only.

Plagiarism: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work

This also is from websters.com While I don&#39;t consider Websters to be an authority when it comes to law, I do consider them an authority when it comes to defining words.

I SECOND THE MOTION, RESEARCH OR BEAT IT&#33;

Sorry if I&#39;m coming off a little harsh, but everyone seems to pass on what they think they know instead of what they can prove thru research with documented sources.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast