Thread: Is this true? Can anyone prove this?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Surprised/Amazed

I was reading an article on the Computer Technology Forum and it states:

18. Do not partition the hard drive. Windows XP's NTFS file system runs more efficiently on one large partition. The data is no safer on a separate partition, and a reformat is never necessary to reinstall an operating system. The same excuses people offer for using partitions apply to using a folder instead. For example, instead of putting all your data on the D: drive, put it in a folder called "D drive." You'll achieve the same organizational benefits that a separate partition offers, but without the degradation in system performance. Also, your free space won't be limited by the size of the partition; instead, it will be limited by the size of the entire hard drive. This means you won't need to resize any partitions, ever. That task can be time-consuming and also can result in lost data.
    Is this true? Has my hardrive been running at 75-90% of it's maximum speed because of partitions?

Source: http://tech-forums.net/showthread.php?threadid=10692

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Sounds true. But maybe cause I want to believe it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    alot of people disagreed with #18. Hell, I use it for easy formats. Windows XP can also be defragged quick if it's on it's own little partition. I use a 10GB one and the defrag only takes a few minutes. (instant speed in no time)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I disagree. Sometimes a system is so badly damaged by viri, spyware, worms, corruption, etc., that a reformat is the best choice.

By having a separate partition for data other than the OS, nothing is lost.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yea, my father has a business on his system and he receives nearly 200+ emails a day. (25% are filtered spam). Anyways, even though his system has antivirus software...I've had to format windows three times so far due to a virus infection. The viruses never resurrected, because those three times were spread out among the years.(Unless the same one jumped onto the documents partition, waited for about 5 months, then opened itself). The partitions really made things easy and they can save you hours, days, weeks of backuping up data before a format.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    shit. "ways to speed up w/o a defrag"
    the list is 23 items long FFS
    a lot of those "tricks" take as long as a defrag
    a lot of those "tricks" are SOP anyway
    so why not just fucking run a defrag? duh.

and not having a separate partition or physical drive for data storage....
    is just begging to lose it all
    I don't have any partitioning done right now,
    but that's because I have two physical drives
    had I only one physical drive, you better believe it would be partitioned

whoever wrote that article needs to be hanged from his nuts

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    In the end, it all sounds like you are merely perusing a convincing tale of someone else's "opinion".

Take it for what it is worth (which in my own opinion is two rat-shits) and either listen to the majority opinion or see what all the "fuss" is about and take a risk.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    i have no doubt that it will work a little more efficient with one large partition than with serveral smaller ones (think about moving files around from one disk to another, with one partition this would no longer require actual moving), however you have to ask yourself if its worth the hassel..........

like said before, if something messes with your OS's partition, this would now mess with your whole HD......... a reformat would force you to reformat EVERYTHING.....

one large partition has a lot of very nice advantages, but i really dont feel like having to burn 100+ GiB of material to DVD just cause windows requires a reinstall..........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    In the end, it all sounds like you are merely perusing a convincing tale of someone else's "opinion".

Take it for what it is worth (which in my own opinion is two rat-shits) and either listen to the majority opinion or see what all the "fuss" is about and take a risk.
    who was that aimed at?