Thread: Hollywood Goes High Tech To Foil Piracy

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Well, it appears Hollywood is going high tech with its new anti piracy methods. This doesn't seem to be slowing things down at all, but you may find this entertaining anyway. Its from a reputable source, CNN, so rest assured, this isn't an internet rumor.

High Tech Anti-Piracy at the Cinema

They mentioned in the article that it would take the rest of the decade just to convert the cinemas to digital projectors. I guess we'll be getting our movies as fast as ever. B)

I thought this quote was especially interesting:
    Researchers are mindful that creating too rapid a flicker could trigger seizures in some people. They also discovered that using the flicker to write words across the image, such as "Copy," are not disruptive enough.
    Did that say seizure? Has it really come to this? B)
    Proud member of MDS

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Poster
    The problem is that the pirates are adopting ever more sophisticated technology, using tiny camcorders in purses and digital recorders about the size of a fountain pen.

Some handheld computers "have an attachment that can record up to 122 minutes," said Jeffrey Godsick, executive vice president of marketing at 20th Century Fox. "Well, that's a whole movie in many cases. You can take the attachment and run it through a small hole in a tie or a shirt."
    so that's why tmd movies are so horrible.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"@20 April 2003 - 16:41
    so that's why tmd movies are so horrible.
    B) Most TMD movies are horrible, because they are re-encodes. Basically a release group uses a cam in a theater to film the movie, then they release it as an SVCD/VCD file. TMD takes that file, and re-encodes it, or basically "shrinks" the file to a smaller size so that 56kers can download and watch it. However by doing this, the quality of the new file is really poor.
    Proud member of MDS

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    oh ok
    btw I would be careful not to put too much credibility on CNN

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"@20 April 2003 - 16:46
    btw I would be careful not to put too much credibility on CNN
    I know what you mean. I was just pointing out that my source was CNN, a respected news network. I once saw a thread where someone linked to drunkgamers.com, then tried to pass it off as being credible.
    Proud member of MDS