Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which DVD burner?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I'm gonna buy another DVD burner, as my Sony DRU-510 seems to have gone on permanent vacation.

I'm leery of the Sony DRU-810, because of what has become of my (very lightly-used) DRU-510.

I don't want to spend the money on the Plextor 716A, because Blu-ray and other changes are just around the corner.

I'm leaning towards the NEC-3550.

Dirt cheap, efficient, reasonably fast, and bullet-proof.

Thoughts?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Your idea for the NEC is good but I have heard that there was some problems with the first firmware. Probably sorted by now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I think I read that too; it was cured (natch) with the latest firmware update.

It just seems to be a drive that is solid in every catagory.

BTW-

Any opinions on the bundled Nero software accompanying the drive?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i haven't had any bad experiences with sony products, myself, but i do read a lot of complaints about their durability. it almost sounds as if they're designed to break shortly after the warranty expires. hmm...

i've had a pioneer burner for a couple of years, and it's always been very reliable despite the fact that i use it to write discs at least once every few days. it has no problem recognizing and writing onto whatever brands of dvd-r i try, from premium quality discs to blank-label generics. the discs it's written have presented no problem to 4 different brands of dvd-video players and 3 different game consoles.

can't really comment on other brands, but my experience with a pioneer burner has been nothing but good, so i wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend it.

as for nero, i use it regularly and prefer it over any other burn program i've tried. haven't messed around with any of the other related programs in the nero suite, but the burning program works as it should in windows xp, as good as any other.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    i haven't had any bad experiences with sony products, myself, but i do read a lot of complaints about their durability. it almost sounds as if they're designed to break shortly after the warranty expires. hmm...

as for nero, i use it regularly and prefer it over any other burn program i've tried. haven't messed around with any of the other related programs in the nero suite, but the burning program works as it should in windows xp, as good as any other.
    My experience with the Sony was that it worked superbly...right up to the point it stopped working.

The website was not at all helpful, and, as you mentioned, the warranty was only recently expired.

After having been a Sony fan for quite some time, I'll stay away until I hear something different.

Glad to hear about Nero, though; I gather that it's somewhat resource-intensive and, uh...large, but hey, if it works well, right?

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I wouldn't worry about blu-ray too much. I'm sure the inital media cost will keep us mere mortals away for a few more years. Even dual-layer media today is still too expensive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you have the choice between a drive with Nero included or not then you don't really need it. You can download Nero. Depends on the price difference.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    If you have the choice between a drive with Nero included or not then you don't really need it. You can download Nero. Depends on the price difference.
    I found it bundled with the drive for about $40 US.

That's not too bad, I don't think.

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I think I came up at the price I noted because I was shopping it in black.

I'll do a bit more looking before I jump-probably order it next week sometime.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast