Thread: connect 2 PC's with normal UTP cable (not crossover)

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    is there any way to connect 2 PC's (the one with the internet connection with Win XP Pro, the laptop with XP home) to eachother with a normal UTP cable in stead of a crossover cable?

thnx in advance
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well you could get cut the cable and join the colour-coded wires togther in the correct sequence by stripping them and twisting the copper conductors together...
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    lol

yeah, i kinda figured that, however we would like to connect them w/o messing up the cable (we want to keep the cable as is, since we only need to connect them every once in a while this way, and normally as a normal UTP cable)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lister3010
    buy a crossover block - otherwise there is no way unless you have a hub/switch. some broadband routers have them in the back.

Lister3010

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Even with a X-over block, you still need to buy another straight cable, so you may as well simply go out and buy a cross-over cable. A X-over cable will probably be about the same price as a X-over block in any case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    a cheap 2 port switch with 2 ethernet wires should link em up.
    both computers would need ethernet input though (PCI NICs are cheap anyways.)