Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: America's Pastime

America's only real sport is croquet
    you forgot curling.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Jayhawk
    curling? who watches that womens swimming is more entertaining than that

3. Lounge   -   #13
    I would have to say football. Watching baseball on t.v is worthless. However going to a baseball game is almost a theraputic experience. Little compares to being inside a ballpark while a baseball game is going on. On the other hand football is much cooler to watch on t.v.(for the most part). Going to a football game is a lot of fun too.

The I's have it. Football it is.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Fasttracker A
    See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

At any moment one great hit or play or pitch is what makes it so good.
    Baseball is labelled americas pastime .
    I think there is too many games,if there were less games each one would be that more important.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Jayhawk
    Originally posted by nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13
    See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

At any moment one great hit or play or pitch is what makes it so good.
    Baseball is labelled americas pastime .
    I think there is too many games,if there were less games each one would be that more important.
    You make very good points. Baseball is very long. But these guys are great athletes it takes physical strength as well as mental strength. Baseball is unpredictable thats why i love it,

6. Lounge   -   #16
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Nothing that spectacular as NBA.... Think it's the most entertaining sport in the world...

The other sports have far to little action....

although i can understand the tension a game of baseball has...

American Football on the other hand is soooooo boring...

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Got_brains?'s Avatar Poster
    BOWLING!

8. Lounge   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    First of all, realize that any of the sports that we watch on T.V. are practiced by athletes who are so far beyond average that to denigrate any of them is to misunderstand what it means to possess their skills.
    I missed out playing football at the University of Wisconsin because of a knee injury in high school-way later I attended college and pro games (from the sidelines). I was immediately glad for injuring myself; I LOVED football, but those guys would have killed me-there were many graphic examples of just how superior they were.

I retired to bar sports (pool, darts, foosball, etc.), and believe me when I tell you-I was top dog at all of them-I was a nationally ranked (yes, there was such a thing) foosball player for a while in the late '70s.
    I was relatively full of myself as regards my abilities in these activities; so much so I entered a pool tourney in Atlanta to play with "the pros". I got my ass trimmed in the first round by a codger named Grady Mathews; he told me afterwards that I had a great game but it needed "work". I didn't retire my cue, but I did get my ass back to the bars.

Honest-it doesn't even matter which sport you're talking about; if you're a hot-shot bowler, go find, say, any run-of-the-mill professional athlete who doesn't even know what a bowling ball IS-give him the basics and in an hour he'll show YOU how it's done.
    THAT'S the truth.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Football ???

I think you mean Gridiron, don't you??

Bloody Yanks - we invented your country anyway!!

Seriously though, Girdiron + Baseball both suck. Sports for an obese nation.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the Planet, not the World Series or the Superbowl. How can it be the World Series when only America seems to play it??

Football is England's national sport and gift to the
    World, not yours!!

Cheers
    Signature removed

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Originally posted by soopaman@22 April 2003 - 17:44
    Bloody Yanks - we invented your country anyway!!

Yeah.....and look who took it from you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast