Thread: LAG in Doom3

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Yesterday I just finished downloading doom3 on my desktop in my sig. I tried high settings and I wasn't even getting close to 20 fps. Even when I set everything to moderate settings with no AA and no AF it was still lagging at around 40 fps avg and dropping to 20 fps when intensive game play is encountered.

I could run halflife2 lost coast smoothly on high settings, and hl2 lost coast is newer and more demanding than doom3? what's the problem with doom?

I have a friend who has the exact spec as I do, except he has the geforce 6600 GT 256mb, and he get MUCH better fps in doom3 than I do but not in halflife2 or quake4.

Doom3 hates my comp...
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The A8N5X comes with a Realtek ALC850 audio codec which supports high quality 8-channel audio.
    Lynx is going to tell you that's the problem. The CPU is being used up by the audio codec.

Take a look at this thread: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=109022
    Last edited by tesco; 12-30-2005 at 05:15 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yes, the problem is definitely that crappy onboard audio codec. I noticed Half Life 2 uses a lot of it's old sounds (retro?), so that's why you don't see that same lag you do in Doom 3 when you first fire weapons and such. Doom 3 uses higher quality sounds which require a lot more processing power to produce.
    A nice sound card will take care of that lag for ya in no time! They are often overlooked because of all the fancy graphics cards out there.

If you havn't found it in my previous thread already, I recommend this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102178

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    set your audio quality to medium. u should notice a increase in visual performance

btw, 30fps is decent for a fps like doom 3.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    set your audio quality to medium. u should notice a increase in visual performance

My thoughts behind frame rates:

5fps: I've seen this problem many times on old computers. It means you get some faster parts or you stick with the older games.
    15fps: terrible
    30fps: playable (average)
    40fps: sharp (extra precision with movements and a little bit of extra crispness)
    50fps: very nice (everything is crisper and movements are more precise)
    70fps: I'm not sure about the difference from 50fps yet.
    100fps: ahead of this time for todays games. Some enthusiasts feel pleasure when they can game at this speed though. Doesn't matter to me.
    300-400: I get this rate when I have my character looking at a wall in FarCry , so I don't know what it'd be like to see the characters moving at that speed . It's not exactly proving that the game is going to stay at that rate the entire time...

999: Loading Screens rarely give me this one. Fraps is glitchy when it comes to calculating the fps for loading screens. You will see anything from 1-999.

For me, I normally game at 80-100 fps due to my new GeForce7800GT 256MB GDDR3 Ram @ 1.0Ghz, with a 450Mhz Core + 20 Pixel Piplelines

(it's practicly another CPU)
    Heh, I'm running it with a 1.6ghz AMD Sempron64 CPU with 800Mhz FSB, but it's still faster than my old 1.8Ghz AMD Barton for sure.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-31-2005 at 01:03 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power

My thought behind frame rates:

5fps: I've seen this problem many times on old computers. It means you get some faster parts or you stick with the older games.
    15fps: terrible
    30fps: playable (average)
    40fps: sharp (extra precision with movements and a little bit of extra crispness)
    50fps: very nice (everything is crisper and movements are more precise)
    70fps: small difference from 50fps...I can't really see much difference
    100fps: ahead of this time for todays games. Some enthusiasts feel pleasure when they can game at this speed though. Doesn't matter to me.
    300-400: I get this rate when I have my character looking at a wall in FarCry , so I don't know what it'd be like to see the characters moving at that speed . It's not exactly proving that the game is going to stay at that rate the entire time...
    999: Loading Screens rarely give me this one in Fraps. I think it's a glitch in Frap's software lol
    that bout sums it up

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    The A8N5X comes with a Realtek ALC850 audio codec which supports high quality 8-channel audio.
    Lynx is going to tell you that's the problem.
    Somehow, I don't think I'll bother.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Okay, thx for replies.

Turns out ATI cards perform badly compared to nvidia card in Doom3. I turned down audio settings and I did get a maybe 2-3 fps increase. Guess I'll have to play mid to low setting then to get a decent 50ish fps.

Btw, I ran the original half life at lowest settings with my PC fully overclocked, I got ~500fps. But the game still looks shitty. Wonder why.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The Sapphire X800GTO has 12 Pixel Pipelines
    The Nvidia 6800GT has 16 Pixel Pipelines
    The Nvidia 7800GT has 20 Pixel Pipelines

pixels rendered per clock cycle plays a hefty role in performance.

Also,
    The first version of "half life" looks shitty on your computer? Do you know how it really looks?

That game ran fine for me with an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro at max settings.

Did you check the resolution (set it as high as you can). Make sure all the ingame settings are maxed out.

Btw 500fps...hah I'm gonna install Quake 3 on my new system to see the ridiculously high frame rate. Maybe movement will be too fast and I'll hit a wall on every keystoke.

Maybe it's the "overclocking". I've heard that can give many PC games some issues here and there. I know overclocking a video card can produce visual artifacts if you go overboard.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 01-03-2006 at 08:59 PM.