Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tolerance

Yogs's Avatar n00b
    1.1 Tolerance is respect, acceptance and appreciation of the rich diversity of our world's cultures, our forms of expression and ways of being human. It is fostered by knowledge, openness, communication, and freedom of thought, conscience and belief. Tolerance is harmony in difference. It is not only a moral duty, it is also a political and legal requirement. Tolerance, the virtue that makes peace possible, contributes to the replacement of the culture of war by a culture of peace.
    1.2 Tolerance is not concession, condescension or indulgence. Tolerance is, above all, an active attitude prompted by recognition of the universal human rights and fundamental freedoms of others. In no circumstance can it be used to justify infringements of these fundamental values. Tolerance is to be exercised by individuals, groups and States.

1.3 Tolerance is the responsibility that upholds human rights, pluralism (including cultural pluralism), democracy and the rule of law. It involves the rejection of dogmatism and absolutism and affirms the standards set out in international human rights instruments.

1.4 Consistent with respect for human rights, the practice of tolerance does not mean toleration of social injustice or the abandonment or weakening of one's convictions. It means that one is free to adhere to one's own convictions and accepts that others adhere to theirs. It means accepting the fact that human beings, naturally diverse in their appearance, situation, speech, behaviour and values, have the right to live in peace and to be as they are. It also means that one's views are not to be imposed on others.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i'd say tolerance is just, not picking on people.

not nessacelery accepting or approving, just respecting

then again, i'm not a dictionary

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogs
    1.1 Tolerance is respect, acceptance and appreciation of the rich diversity of our world's cultures, our forms of expression and ways of being human. It is fostered by knowledge, openness, communication, and freedom of thought, conscience and belief. Tolerance is harmony in difference. It is not only a moral duty, it is also a political and legal requirement. Tolerance, the virtue that makes peace possible, contributes to the replacement of the culture of war by a culture of peace.
    1.2 Tolerance is not concession, condescension or indulgence. Tolerance is, above all, an active attitude prompted by recognition of the universal human rights and fundamental freedoms of others. In no circumstance can it be used to justify infringements of these fundamental values. Tolerance is to be exercised by individuals, groups and States.

1.3 Tolerance is the responsibility that upholds human rights, pluralism (including cultural pluralism), democracy and the rule of law. It involves the rejection of dogmatism and absolutism and affirms the standards set out in international human rights instruments.

1.4 Consistent with respect for human rights, the practice of tolerance does not mean toleration of social injustice or the abandonment or weakening of one's convictions. It means that one is free to adhere to one's own convictions and accepts that others adhere to theirs. It means accepting the fact that human beings, naturally diverse in their appearance, situation, speech, behaviour and values, have the right to live in peace and to be as they are. It also means that one's views are not to be imposed on others.
    Go roll over for the Nazis.

Warning: Above post may be offensive to some. Read at your own discretion.
    Last edited by Cheese; 01-04-2006 at 12:30 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Go roll over for the Nazis.

Warning: Above post may be offensive to some. Read at your own discretion.
    ap·pease
    tr.v. ap·peased, ap·peas·ing, ap·peas·es

1. To bring peace, quiet, or calm to; soothe.
    2. To satisfy or relieve: appease one's thirst.
    3. To pacify or attempt to pacify (an enemy) by granting concessions, often at the expense of principle. See Synonyms at pacify.

With apologies to any French members, but I don't think we have any.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Yogs's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i'd say tolerance is just, not picking on people.

not nessacelery accepting or approving, just respecting

then again, i'm not a dictionary
    You do just fine without a dictionary; i agree with you....

6. Lounge   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    but saying that... i don't respect crysmileyguy, but i tolerate him

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Yogs's Avatar n00b
    Well, theré's a few here i don't respect at all, but mostly because they are not tolerant.........

8. Lounge   -   #8
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Well, theré's a few here i don't respect at all, but mostly because they are not tolerant.........
    I'm sure those sad few will have to try to learn to cope, sans your respect.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    now get a job you bum

10. Lounge   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Dan's back
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast