Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Ultimate PC-Gaming Tweak

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    SmartClose

Run SmartClose to close all your systemtray applications and your games will run much faster!

http://i.domaindlx.com/bmproductions...ns/smartclose/

It really works. I've noticed a nice drop in lag and gain in fps.

SmartClose is a free program that will automate the process of closing all running programs. It can also save the state of the system to a system snapshot, so all the programs that have been closed can be also easily restarted later by SmartClose.

Description

Many tasks that can be performed on PC's these days require you to close all currently running programs. For example, almost every installer asks you to close all other applications to minimize conflicts and to avoid replacing in-use files. Other high-end tasks, such as burning CD's and defragmenting or scanning hard drives can slow down or even fail when other processes 'kick in', like background programs, the screen saver or a scheduled task.
    Of course, you can manually exit each program one by one, disable the screen saver… That is when SmartClose comes in! SmartClose will automatically close all running programs, disable the screen saver and halt all other processes that can interrupt without asking.
    But what when you have finished the task that required you to use SmartClose and you want to restore the programs and such that were disabled by SmartClose? Restart the computer? No, because before SmartClose closes or disables anything, it will first save the current state of the system (running programs, screen saver…) to a 'system snapshot', that can later be opened and restored again by SmartClose.

Some other features of SmartClose:

Two wizards: the Close Programs wizard, for closing all the programs, and the Restore wizard, to restore a system snapshot. Both provide an intuitive and clear interface - the latest Windows 2000/XP wizard style - and assist you step by step.

Thanks to its SmartClose-technology, most programs can be properly closed, so that the program can still save its settings and return memory and resources to the system.

In the rare cases that a program can't be properly closed, SmartClose can use SmartKill to kill the program. Still, all the memory and resources used by the program will be freed with this method.

If you don't want a program to be closed or killed by SmartClose, you can add it to a list of 'Protected Programs'.

Besides closing programs, SmartClose also closes Explorer and Internet Explorer windows and saves their current location, so they can be restored properly later.

Disables and restores the screen saver.

Stops and restarts Windows NT/2000/XP-services, such as the Task Scheduler, that can interrupt other processes. On Windows 9x/Millennium, the Task Scheduler can also be disabled and re-enabled.

And finally, you get all of these features for free! SmartClose is 100% freeware without any nag screens, trial periods, ads, spyware etc.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 12-22-2005 at 06:15 AM.

2. Games   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    hmmm.. sounds interesting, going to try it out!

3. Games   -   #3

4. Games   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    cool, installed it. how do you "add" the program you WANT to run, like I want to run FS2004, but close/kill all the others, how do I do that?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Games   -   #5
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I am afraid to use it.

6. Games   -   #6
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    did it work for anyone?

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

7. Games   -   #7
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    yeah im wondering the same thing too. i odnt wanna experience any possibility of a windows artifact..

8. Games   -   #8
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    so this basically just removes programs that take up ram? what if the game you run doesn't use up all your ram?

9. Games   -   #9
    If it disables everything that means that it will also disable my Firewall too and since i'm on DSL without a router my pc will be vulnerable right?

I wouldn't rush to install it...

10. Games   -   #10
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    well hl2 wont run if this thing is on (or does its thing, w/e). make sure u disconnect urself from the net if u plan on using this, cuz it disables everything including AV and Anti-Spyware+firewalls, so ya. But it doesnt matter to me cuz hl2+steam gave me an error, and yes, those 2 programs were on the "safe" list.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast