Thread: Too many digital errors on my audio CDs, what is the reason why?

Poster
    I made a compilation of mp3s i burned to CD to play in my car, but the audio is filled with annoying errors. Errors such as entire seconds or beats missing from the middle of the song, and the beginnings of some songs being cut off completely (like the cowbell from the beginning of Queens of the stone age's "little sister"). I burned the CD slower than its advertised maximum burn speed (32x as opposed to 48x) to try and prevent this, but no luck. Is there any way to stop those errors?

My settings:
    I am using Nero 7.
    Nero is converting the mp3s to CD audio while it is burning.
    The checkbox "Remove silence at the end of audio tracks" is checked.
    Total length of CD is 76:45, which is in the yellow "caution" zone.
    Burner is an NEC DVD_RW.

Should i just convert the tracks to CD audio myself using FreeRip2 or mp3directCut (if its possible), rather than letting Nero do it while it is burning, and then pre-listen to make sure it sounds ok?

2. Music   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Try the CD in another CD player, or in the CD-rom of your pc, to see if you still get the same problems.

If not, then the car player is struggling to read the CD-R. You could try a lens-cleaner in it to see if that makes any difference.

If you get the same problem on all players, then it sounds like a problem with either the burner, or the disc itself. Are they good quality CDR's, or bargain basement ones?
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 01-12-2006 at 11:23 AM.

3. Music   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    same thing happened to me. i thought my burner was going to shit, but i found that nero 7 BLOWS HARD. go back to v6.6 and all is well again.

4. Music   -   #4
    Poster
    The media is not bad. I have burned several dozen CD images with no faults. I have also burned several albums and mp3 sets without fail, but most of those were before i installed nero7. I'll try nero6.6 and see what happens, thanks!

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Well I installed nero 6.6 and it completely changed the way WindowsXP displays the folder windows. It added an "undo", "move to", "copy to" and "delete" to the folder windows, and it removed the mini window that used to be on the left (the area that showed thumbnails for movies and images). Did this program just hijack my windows or something?

EDIT: Also, every icon from the control panel has disappeared and has been replaced by the default icon for an unknown file type. Screw this, it is probably some malignant program that puts undesired crap onto your computer. I got 6.6 from newsgroups so maybe it was a bad file.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 01-13-2006 at 06:33 AM.

6. Music   -   #6
    Poster
    Okay, i think i've solved the problem. Nero7's mp3 to wav converter is craptastic. I previewed an mp3 (Cocaine by Eric Clapton) in Nero7 and it tore the beginning of the track to shreds. I converted the mp3 to wav using "FreeRip2". After that, in Nero7 it sounded like it is supposed to sound.