Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will video games look as good as real life?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    I think we're making lots of progress over the years, 2 perfect examples would be The original Half-Life in 1998 and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast of the year 2005.

But I think all the games are FAR from looking as real as real life.

How many years down the road will they come up with game engines and build PCs powerful enough that can simulate actual life graphics, physics, and details?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Games   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    give it another 10, but imo i dont think u could make it "real" looking, it'll still have that cartoony style to it, imo, we will never get within the 85% range of full realism (graphics wise)

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Games   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Computer Scientists guarantee that all of the computing power in the world combined this very day would still lack the speed to run 100% Complete Virtual Reality.

I agree with the "85% range limit", because reality will always have more quality than anything virtual.

With "Virtual Reality" that looks, feels, smells, and sounds the same as reality...people would get addicted...people would probably die of starvation...populations would drop, because everyone would be able to have virtual sex with anyone they want to (and it'd feel exactly the same). You could fly in the sky...the limits are turned off and you would hate reality. Everyone would start to hate the real world and it would become a devastating life to be in...people all around would be skin and bones, weak, pale as a dead body...
    It's already a problem today with computers and all...a lot of people spend 80% of their days on a computer and that's extremely unhealthy. (Mostly the shy ones who'd rather interact with others behind a wall, so any complications cease to exist)

Basically, computers are equally "Bad" as they are "Good". Same goes for many things.

The TV caused a scare..Computers do now, ...what next?

I suppose someday videogames might look nearly as good as real life video, but they still won't have smell or feeling. (Maybe some ghetto half-ass versions of those sensations...but they'll probably be terrible...especially "smell". Why would anyone want smell anyways?
    All we have today is vibration...and most guys put the controller in their lap to "enjoy the ride".
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 01-11-2006 at 03:36 AM.

4. Games   -   #4
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Computer Scientists guarantee that all of the computing power in the world combined this very day would still lack the speed to run 100% Complete Virtual Reality.

I agree with the "85% range limit", because reality will always have more quality than anything virtual.

With "Virtual Reality" that looks, feels, smells, and sounds the same as reality...people would get addicted...people would probably die of starvation...populations would drop, because everyone would be able to have virtual sex with anyone they want to (and it'd feel exactly the same). You could fly in the sky...the limits are turned off and you would hate reality. Everyone would start to hate the real world and it would become a devastating life to be in...people all around would be skin and bones, weak, pale as a dead body...
    It's already a problem today with computers and all...a lot of people spend 80% of their days on a computer and that's extremely unhealthy. (Mostly the shy ones who'd rather interact with others behind a wall, so any complications cease to exist)

Basically, computers are equally "Bad" as they are "Good". Same goes for many things.

The TV caused a scare..Computers do now, ...what next?

I suppose someday videogames might look nearly as good as real life video, but they still won't have smell or feeling. (Maybe some ghetto half-ass versions of those sensations...but they'll probably be terrible...especially "smell". Why would anyone want smell anyways?
    All we have today is vibration...and most guys put the controller in their lap to "enjoy the ride".

perfect explanation (except teh lap part, thats just nasty).

5. Games   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    lol

a few years ago (playstation/n64 age), the ultimate goal was to get games to look like toy story. to get games to look like today's in game cinematics. we've pretty much done that with next gen consoles.

i think there'll be other advancements before we reach 100% reality. like touch, smell, taste, etc. 100% reality is extremely difficult to achieve. for example, shadows in real life are much more complicated than even the most advanced in-game shadows today (doom 3, hl2, etc). we achieved dynamic lighting in many games today, a huge jump from a few years back. real life lighting is a hell of a lot more complicated. to achieve reality, light has to be broken down to it's basics. all that physics shit that i'm too lazy to explain, but the point is, it's extremely complicated. not to mention the detail we have to achieve with textures and models to create photo-realistic animation.

6. Games   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Even Hollywood can't produce virtual reality without the "Oh it's just CG" look. That movie stealth bugged the hell outta me because all the jets were in CG...ouch.

7. Games   -   #7
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Even Hollywood can't produce virtual reality without the "Oh it's just CG" look. That movie stealth bugged the hell outta me because all the jets were in CG...ouch.
    thats why i didnt watch it lol

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

8. Games   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh its coming sooner than later . Hdtv's and gamers perfect mix .

Read this tonite :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/technology/09dvd.html

9. Games   -   #9
    abigboy's Avatar bigger than you
    It's impossible. No matter how advanced all computer graphics are the work of artists and you can never convincingly draw the imperfections in a human face. Graphics will probably within the next five years start to look as good as the Final Fantasy movie, but beyond that the differences will be negligable.

Physics and AI are were all the big leaps are yet to be made and where the next gen consoles will really show what they can do.
    Yet another informed opinion from abigboy

10. Games   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    we'll need robots that can take over the world to come up with something that realistic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast