Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Proccesors

i have the 2700+ myself. it's a great cpu, i've had no complaints.
    very powerful too, the only thing is that you'll need a pretty heavy duty heatsink and fan. did you order retail or OEM?
    if you ordered oem, you'll only get the cpu and nothing else, if you ordered retail you'll get a good cooler.
    if you don't have a cooler, you should buy an all copper one, i had the thermaltake volcano 9 (which is part copper part aluminium), and it was letting the cpu run at 64-65 degrees idle. i have scorch marks on the underside because of that

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    OEM, I have some fans sitting around some where.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i got xp 1500mobile. and i trundles along fine, good procesors.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Dombler@22 April 2003 - 06:14
    OEM, I have some fans sitting around some where.
    i fear you may have to buy another fan and heatsink, Dombler.
    i'm not trying to scare you into buying one, just saying that you should set aside a little bit more money to buy one. the 2700+ is a very powerful beast, but heat can be a problem.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    I think his heatsink may be fine. It depends on which one he has. All I know is the Volcanos you talked about earlier don't cool very well. They look nice and all but not very efficient.

I have an Athlon XP with stock heatsink and fan suppied by AMD. It uses microfin technology. It's compact and works really well I was quite surprised when I first installed it. It runs under 40c idle and under 50c under full load.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    i know what you mean about the volcano. it cost me 30 quid, and all it did was look nice.
    i'm on my third heatsink now, i've got quite a collection
    my point was that the power of the 2700 chip is really high. i had the p4 1.6GHz chip and the coolder i had for that was all aluminium, i had no problems at all.
    aluminium isn't as good a heat conductor, so i thought that the cooler for the p4 would be worse than the athlon, but the p4 (approx 40 idle 45 load) ran much cooler than my athlon (around 46, 50 load)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12