Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printers?

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm using a Lexmark, but I've noticed with any Lexmark I've used, if you do not print for a month or so, the ink cartridges dry up and the heads become unusable... I don't print very ofter, however it's very annoying to have to buy a new cartridge everytime I need to print something. From what I've read, this is a very common problem for lexmark printers.

Can any one be so kind to suggest a good, yet inexpensive printer I can buy that won't have this sort of problem?
    Anyone have any experience with the Canon IP6210D?
    Last edited by Damnatory; 01-16-2006 at 08:49 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I went backwards after my Lexmark crapped out. I researched the cheapest replacement cartridges for a new printer. I settled on a Epson C62. Replacement cartridges are $4.50 apiece. So 1 tri color & 1 black total $9. I suggest you search backwards also. Cause it's quite easy to get a new printer for $50-$60. And the replacement cartridges will total $70. Btw quite happy with my Epson.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hippychick's Avatar Memo, what memo? BT Rep: +5
    I like my HP Deskjet 3745, I got it for under 60 at walleyworld. Its good for photo also

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    im very happywith my canon pixma ip2000 and looking into a new one with multi colour cartridges, and the inks are very cheap, i just got a pack of 5 black and 5 colour for £10

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Nice Livy that's what I'm saying.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    You want to know why Lexmark printer carts dry out?
    Lexmark printers use rebadged HP carts, and HP carts don't dry out the same way, so the problem obviously lies in the printer.

If you leave a HP printer switched on, after a while it will automatically park the heads to prevent them drying out. Clones don't have this facility, so if you accidentally leave them on it causes this problem. I assume the firmware for the printers is still supplied by HP, in which case it is probably their way of making these clones less desirable than the HP equivalent.

Those who do a bit more printing and want to pring the cost per page down should try one of these.
    They can't dry up, they are already dry. You don't need photo paper, highest quality prints glossy. And if you do ever run out, simply refill the carts.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I went backwards after my Lexmark crapped out. I researched the cheapest replacement cartridges for a new printer. I settled on a Epson C62. Replacement cartridges are $4.50 apiece. So 1 tri color & 1 black total $9. I suggest you search backwards also. Cause it's quite easy to get a new printer for $50-$60. And the replacement cartridges will total $70. Btw quite happy with my Epson.
    The price of those carts is extremely appealing, although it being an older printer I can't seem to find one that isn't used. Electronics are something I just don't feel comfortable buying from eBay... I thank you for the suggestion though, as $10 for all my ink is a rather tasty idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    Lexmark printers use rebadged HP carts, and HP carts don't dry out the same way, so the problem obviously lies in the printer.
    So you are saying that I should go with an HP then to prevent them from drying out like that, since HP "parks" the heads?

I was thinking maybe this one...

HP DeskJet 3745

Appealing in terms of price, I could care less what it looks like as long as it prints and doesn't dry up. The only problem I saw with it, is it uses a multicolor cartridge rather than seperate ones, but I believe the carts are refillable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You think that one will resolve the problem for me?
    Last edited by Damnatory; 01-16-2006 at 10:58 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    You could just print a page a day or every other day instead of buying a new printer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    You could just print a page a day or every other day instead of buying a new printer.
    Yes but I would have to buy new ink cartidges to do so, which will actually cost me more than buying a new printer.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Just pick a couple printer brands you like. Then find a site or store that sells non oem cartridges. They advertise by brand & model. And the models they list are usually the latest. Then research the cheapest cartridge(s). Copy down the model #s of printer. Then get that printer. Ta dah! Bob's your uncle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast