Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you use a recovery cd on a new HDD

twisterX's Avatar Poster
    I dont get why prebuilts come with a recovery cd instead of windows xp cd.

If you get a new HDD how are you supposto install windows becuase the recovery cd will not work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    I dont get why prebuilts come with a recovery cd instead of windows xp cd.

If you get a new HDD how are you supposto install windows becuase the recovery cd will not work.
    Preloading save ms money cos it's harder to install that operating system on more than one pc, if you had the disc then you could load it on hundreds of pcs.

Back up your old hard drive to disc and load it onto your new one, or use the new one as a slave.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368
    Preloading save ms money cos it's harder to install that operating system on more than one pc, if you had the disc then you could load it on hundreds of pcs.

Back up your old hard drive to disc and load it onto your new one, or use the new one as a slave.
    not really, no
    the OS would still have to be registered, as it would no doubt be an OEM license (not retail or corporate)

and how does this save M$ money? it doesn't
    it makes them money
    although it may actually cost them money selling bulk licenses to the likes of Dell, HP, etc at a discount
    (think of how much more they would make selling the same amount at single user rates)
    who then turn around and load the OS onto the drives themselves

and using a new drive as a slave don't help if the old one has crashed

@twister - you can image the HDD with Ghost, Acronis, etc
    or look into the OEM stuff on your PC to see if you can burn a backup set
    (HP/Compaq let you do this, in the past, in case of a total drive failure, don't know if they still do)
    then you should be able to load the image onto another drive on the same motherboard/CPU
    Last edited by fkdup74; 01-19-2006 at 10:34 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    im asking becuase im using a prebuilt now and i sometimes use the recover cd but i hate everything that gets installed with it and usually have to delete everything besides the main things then start installing things i want.

I have a copy of winxp pro but its version. I would like to have a backup of my paid for windows but using a recovery cd on a formatted drive doesnt work.

So ill probably make an clone but never use it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    @twister - you can image the HDD with Ghost, Acronis, etc
    or look into the OEM stuff on your PC to see if you can burn a backup set
    (HP/Compaq let you do this, in the past, in case of a total drive failure, don't know if they still do)
    then you should be able to load the image onto another drive on the same motherboard/CPU
    That won't help if the old h/d is totally fried.

...and as for getting around registering it?
    Very easy.
    Last edited by dodgy368; 01-19-2006 at 10:57 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    yea you much have some special files on your HDD to be able to use the recovery cd for your computer.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    M$ licenses their OS to PC manufacturers. It is completely their decision to provide only a recovery disc. In fact, a lot of them don't even do that(e.g. HP/Compaq). The "restore disc" is actually on a partition of the hard drive. It is then accessed by pressing a particular key upon boot-up. This way, they save a lot of money by avoiding the costs of purchasing and creating "restore" discs. (M$ doesn't provide any CDs to the OEMs)

side bar: after licensing the OS, manufacturers add whatever software packages they want, including a lot of trial software and in some cases spyware/malware.(can anyone say Dell?)

That being said, it sounds like a full version of Windows should be acquired and installed on the hard drive of your choice. And, using your original hard drive as a slave(without "restoring" it), will allow you access to files as you need them.

Just more reason to build your own PC from scratch.

my .02¢

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    First thing I do with a buddie who buys a preinstalled computer is wipe it out , aswell as the recovery partion they hide . Install Win XP Pro corp slipstreamed , programs, drivers he'll need then ghost his drive . The trick is to give him copies so he can fend for himself .

The recovery disk is thrown out , they usually loose it anyway !

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    i have xp pro corp too. The hidden partion is also deleted on my drive and i realy on the recovery disc.

The thing that bothers me by using the pirated version is i may have some problems downloading things from the MS website. Also i dont feel like installing everything.
    Last edited by twisterX; 01-20-2006 at 04:01 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    I have a copy of winxp pro but its version.
    well f*ck me....
    you coulda said that from the start
    who cares if it's ?

mine is ....me likes ..... is good.....

@dodgy - the image set that HP/Compaq used to allow you to burn was deployable onto a new HDD
    I have had to utilize it before, but as I said, I don't know if they still feature that option
    I build my own, so I don't feel the need to keep up on current HP policy

Quote Originally Posted by harrycarry
    Just more reason to build your own PC from scratch.
    agreed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast