Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Monitor won't power on in my house??

Hello,

I had a Samsung Syncmaster 995DF for about a 1 1/2 yrs, it went into powersaving mode, then it just wouldn't power on. Luckily it was still under a 3 yr warranty...so I got it replaced by the manufacturer and the gave me a Samsung 997DF...an upgrade...wohhooo!! But to my dissappointment it won't power on, in any of the outlets in my house. I took it back to the shop, and it powered on in their outlet, no problemo.

Anyways... I contacted samsung tech support and he said it might be because our area/house has "dirty" electrical signals or voltage fluctuations, that is causing the monitor not to work in my house. So I bought a Monster PC700 power surge bar that supposed to clean the signal and is a quality surge protector. But the monitor still doesn't work. It was also suggested that I should use a UPS (uniterrupted power source), but how is that any different from a surge protector other than it has back up power?

What do I do???? Anybody experience anything like this??? Solutions???

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Does it work at the neighbors house ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I haven't tried....I don't really know the next door peeps. And even if it did work in there, I'm not gonna set up my pc in their house.

I hooked up an older monitor and it works just fine, why won't this one work?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you can get a hold of a multimeter/tester you should find out what voltage you're getting in your house...
    Easiest way to use it is to set it to volts then stick one lead into the neutral side of your receptacle (The wider blade on your plug = neutral) then stick the other one into the hot (hot = smaller blade, not the round hole).
    You can also check the hot to ground (ground = round hole).

Read what it says the voltage is on the multimeter, it should be close to 120volts. If it is too far below or too high you should call the electric company to fix that for you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    so buying a UPS won't solve the problem? as recommended by the tech support dude.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    also with those multimeter's, do I have to buy a specific kind? Can I buy a cheapo one? I'd probably just buy one then return it, if I could...looks like they run from $20-$70 cdn.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee21
    also with those multimeter's, do I have to buy a specific kind? Can I buy a cheapo one? I'd probably just buy one then return it, if I could...looks like they run from $20-$70 cdn.
    First of all I forgot to mention that those insctructions are for canadian and US outlets, but looks like that's not a problem if you're canadian.

You can get cheap multimeters at canadian tire for about $10, altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...
    The prices can run up into the hundreds on testers but that's mostly for features you aren't going to need.
    Last edited by tesco; 01-20-2006 at 03:10 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...
    and just what the hell is wrong with analog?
    I tell you, these kids are spoiled these days....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee21
    First of all I forgot to mention that those insctructions are for canadian and US outlets, but looks like that's not a problem if you're canadian.

You can get cheap multimeters at canadian tire for about $10, altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...
    The prices can run up into the hundreds on testers but that's mostly for features you aren't going to need.
    so if it turns out that my voltage is whacked, can they fix it by just flipping a switch? or do I have to wait for an electrician to come by and fix it in person?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Imo electrician.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast