Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Osama Bin Laden offers Truce to the U.S.

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    This situation is vaguely comparable to that in N Ireland. However, the IRA never offered a truce to the British Government or the opposing terrorist factions in the North of Ireland.

The British government were (happily or not) obliged to seek some sort of public resolution simply because it had become impossible not to acknowledge Sinn Fein as a legitimate political party with mandates and a clear willingness to compromise. They should have never given us civil rights in the 60's. Sinn Fein would be illegal and unelectable unless half a million Ulster protestants, in a moment of madness, ticked the wrong box.

I can see no provision set in place to bring OBL's olive branch (genuine or contrived) to bear on a political stage. I would sadly suggest that this is merely an attempt to garner global sympathy.

"I tried to shake the bully's hand but he was too busy beating the bejasus out of me."

I hope I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by chalice; 01-21-2006 at 02:35 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1
    It seems the Bin Laden has offered a truce with the U.S. Gov't.

Either way i still think he should be hunted down. It seems that one of his top men could have been killed in the village bombing in pakistan. So what do you all think, should the US gov't consider this?
    Can't think of a reason why we should.

Have you changed your mind about 9//11?
    For the contrary, no, I haven't.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Can't think of a reason why we should.

Have you changed your mind about 9//11?

Then why bother with Bin laden?

Why, if he is not guilty, is he not saying, "Hey, I didn't bomb your fucking buildings!", rather than offering a "truce"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Formula1's Avatar Poster

Why, if he is not guilty, is he not saying, "Hey, I didn't bomb your fucking buildings!", rather than offering a "truce"?
    Bin Laden has claimed responsibility for many other terrorist attacks, such as the Kenyan Embassy bombing. Oh wait lemme guess, since they arent american, they don't count eh?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice
    This situation is vaguely comparable to that in N Ireland. However, the IRA never offered a truce to the British Goverment or the opposing terrorist factions in the North of Ireland.

The British government were (happily or not) obliged to seek some sort of public resolution simply because it had become impossible not to acknowledge Sinn Fein as a legitimate political party with mandates and a clear willingness to compromise. They should have never given us civil rights in the 60's. Sinn Fein would be illegal and unelectable unless half a million Ulster protestants, in a moment of madness, ticked the wrong box.

I can see no provision set in place to bring OBL's olive branch (genuine or contrived) to bear on a political stage. I would sadly suggest that this is merely an attempt to garner global sympathy.

"I tried to shake the bully's hand but he was too busy beating the bejasus out of me."

I hope I'm wrong though.

Chalice more-or-less makes my point.

The opposing sides in Ireland were more aptly termed legitimately representative of those who held the political reins.

I don't think the same could be said of Bin Laden, nor is there a like faction opposing him.

He operates with the tacit approval of certain countries (that is to say, he has his "fans") but is not recognized as legitimate by any.

Also, he and Al Qaeda are truly a multi-jurisdictional enterprise.

I don't recall your Irish laddies operating in such a way as to exert wholesale influence on (inter-)continental politics.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

Bin Laden has claimed responsibility for many other terrorist attacks, such as the Kenyan Embassy bombing. Oh wait lemme guess, since they arent american, they don't count eh?
    Sure they count, but if this is the case, why isn't (for example) Spain carrying the ball?

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    This situation is vaguely comparable to that in N Ireland. However, the IRA never offered a truce to the British Goverment or the opposing terrorist factions in the North of Ireland.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Chalice more-or-less makes my point.

The opposing sides in Ireland were more aptly termed legitimately representative of those who held the political reins.

I don't think the same could be said of Bin Laden, nor is there a like faction opposing him.

He operates with the tacit approval of certain countries (that is to say, he has his "fans") but is not recognized as legitimate by any.

Also, he and Al Qaeda are truly a multi-jurisdictional enterprise.

I don't recall your Irish laddies operating in such a way as to exert wholesale influence on (inter-)continental politics.
    OBL operates under bullshit.

He says Islam is being persecuted under the cover of him starting shit.

On 9/11, he killed Muslims...probably hundreds.
    On the USS Cole, he probably killed Muslims.
    In Iraq, if he has anything to do with Iraq, he has killed over one thousand.

How can he be recognized as legit when the very people he supposedly fights for, he kills on purpose?

Whoever takes him seriously is an idiot.

He is not the "Pope" of Islam.

He does not represent Islam besides giving it a bad name then turning around yelling persecution. Only after 9/11 has there been this much hatred or simple distrust for Muslims.

Guess who's fault it is?

Fuck him.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-21-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    OBL operates under bullshit.

He is not the "Pope" of Islam.

Fuck him.

Nice summation.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    This situation is vaguely comparable to that in N Ireland. However, the IRA never offered a truce to the British Government or the opposing terrorist factions in the North of Ireland.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.

The point I was trying to make, obviously badly, was that people should at least be willing to talk. There is no point in just saying, feck that, we won't even listen to him.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Mr Laden is a complex individual who I suspects thinks too much about religion.

His goal is to restore the Caliphate and remove the Royals from Saudi, Kuwaiti and other ME Governments. Although there has been a tendancy for some to suggest that Islam is knocking at the door of the West and that is the sole purpose of 9/11 etc., I think even OBL would agree that that it is little more than a pipe dream on their part.

He does, however, want the West out of the ME and no doubt any such truce would be concomitant on us butting out of that area. It may be that he thinks the West is utterly fed up with the ME and that now is a good time to float the idea of a truce. I am sure he knows it will be rejected but perhaps, he may reason, its presence as a possibilty may take root in a year or two.

Of course many things could happen in that time to make it impossible, redundant or simply not necessary. Bin Laden might be mad but he is not daft.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast