Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Piracy Bust Against Top Providers

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    They're just providing a public service. They don't have permission to release cracked games but it's not too much of a crime when they do.

TBH I feel that releases that are downloaded by a user and just used on a single P.C isn't really hurting anyway. It's generally better to stump up cash after playing a cracked release anyway to do stuff like play online.

Things get messier when you have people downloading releases and then flogging them to others or trying to sell them as a replacement for the official products. This is when I feel authorities and companies have a case against loss of earnings and crimes taking place.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeK612
    They're just providing a public service. They don't have permission to release cracked games but it's not too much of a crime when they do.

TBH I feel that releases that are downloaded by a user and just used on a single P.C isn't really hurting anyway. It's generally better to stump up cash after playing a cracked release anyway to do stuff like play online.

Things get messier when you have people downloading releases and then flogging them to others or trying to sell them as a replacement for the official products. This is when I feel authorities and companies have a case against loss of earnings and crimes taking place.
    Not quite.

I think it doesn't hurt a company when it's something you woudn't downloaded anyway. However, there's no real way to measure hindsight.

The fact is it's all stealing. If one has 200 albums or movies and 1/4th of that would have been something the user would have bought then the companies lost money.

Another fact is that just about everyone shares the files. I think law-wise I think one should still be able to download because it's their right. The programs or clients can be used for legal distribution and for sharing stolen files. More often than not though, it's for sharing stolen files.

It's up to the companies to secure their product whether it be doing raids through the authorities or better encryption.

They are laying are product out in the street then complaining when someone picks it up. While that someone did steal it knowingly, it was in the street. Companies should not a expect a high moral standard when free shit is laid out in front of them.

I remember using a descrambler to steal PPV and premium cable channels. What cable companies did is remove most of the PPV and some of the premium channels from analog and move to digital cable where so far it has not been hacked and it has been out for a long time.

Bottomline is that all of this hurts a company's bottomline. I never ordered a PPV movie 'cause I didn't have too. Boxing events were free so I didn't need folks to chip-in for a fight party.

The impetus to buy is gone due to one not having to buy.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-25-2006 at 07:07 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    this is fucked up. reloaded!! noooooo

they were one of the 1st to successfully crack starforce. i was waiting for chaos theory! noooooooo

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    http://www.gvu.de/de/presse/download_pics.php?navId=30

These are supposedly pictures of the busts....

Now i might not understand completely how the scene works but this just doesn't look like places where releasing groups work.

Tis all burning hardware you see:
    http://www.gvu.de/de/presse/img/download/fabrik_300.jpg

I think they somehow got their pictures mixed up

hmm...asspie

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Releasing groups don't release from there own computers. They crack something then upload it to a private group only FTP and then FXP from that group only FTP onto a Topsite (Private but not group only FTP) and people on the Topsite FXP onto other sites and so on.

Those were just where the cracking went on, the release first appears on the internet on a 100Mbit FTP server in a data centre surrounded with hundreds of other servers, some used for legal websites and some used for piracy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12