Thread: Two questions regarding USB 2.0

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    1. Does Windows XP Pro Corp alone come with USB 2.0? Or does it need a service pack update? I mean just regular no service pack Win XP Pro... does it have USB 2.0 support?

2. Is there anyway to get USB 2.0 on Windows 2000 without installing Service Pack 4? Last time I did that things weren't pretty...

Thanks in advance...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    USB 2.0 isn't in XP pro without service packs.

As soon as you install service pack 1 or higher you get USB 2.0 support.

As for Windows 2000... I'm not sure. It probably can be installed without the service pack but I never investigated that. Check to see if there are drivers that could add that support.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 01-25-2006 at 03:08 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    This might be of some help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973/EN-US/

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Alright I followed those instructions and downloaded "NEC usb software update released on June 01 2001" (107kb) via Windows Update... and got the following files... but when I try to install the drivers, nothing happens...

That's how I'm supposed to install it right? I tried it twice, and restarted my PC, but my MP3 player still shows my USB as 1.1... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all your help so far VB...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Grrrr.... still nothing.

I even used DriverGuide.com to get "VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller
    Driver Installation." I searched under my mobo's company USB drivers... installed it.... still at USB 1.1.

I know for a fact my mobo has USB 2.0... but for some reason, I can't use it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Is there some reason that you don't want to install the service pack?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    Alright I followed those instructions and downloaded "NEC usb software update released on June 01 2001" (107kb) via Windows Update... and got the following files... but when I try to install the drivers, nothing happens...

That's how I'm supposed to install it right? I tried it twice, and restarted my PC, but my MP3 player still shows my USB as 1.1... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all your help so far VB...
    That's not the right way to install it.

Go in to device manager, find the usb host controller, right click on it and select "update driver". The following sequence is for XP, it may be slightly different for Win2k:
    Don't search windows update this time
    Install from a list...
    Don't Search...
    Have Disk
    Then point to wherever you've saved the files.

You also need to install the motherboard manufacturer's files but I'm guessing you've already done that. These don't actually add any extra drivers, they simply tell the usb 2.0 drivers that the use host controller is 2.0 compatible. Without those you may still only get usb 1.1.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Is there some reason that you don't want to install the service pack?
    Last time I did install the Service Pack, rebooted my PC... I kept getting the blue screen of death... my entire (only) computer wouldn't boot up. I couldn't get it on and ended up reformatting my entire PC... After that service pack installation getting my PC running again was a nightmare...

@lynx
    I tried installing them that way also... no luck. It just told me over and over that Windows was already using the most suitable driver and an upgrade was not nessesary... I picked Have Disk and pointed to the files I got... I also have installed my motherboard manufacturer's drivers with the CD they gave me...

Still USB 1.1... =/