Thread: Need Help With Router And Modem-

Ok here is the low down, I want to install a second computer on my cable line. I want one computer to run 24/7 on kazaa while the other computer for my other applications. If i install a router will my connection be slow with the computer I am not using for kazza? because all my bandwidth is being used up by kazaa? I have a second cable modem already and can just use that but i run the risk of the cable company catching me for using 2 modems and charging me twice the price- I called them up about the situation and they said "what you do in you house is your own is your own bussiness" meaning I could install the second modem, and there is rarely a way they catch me-right? Just to give you some input, as you know I have 2 modems both with 2 different ip addresses, every other week I switch using them my pc. Now they told me the computer they have would not recongnize the new ip address and shut it down- This haas not been the case in over 3 months- so should I go ahead and install both modems to my cable line or settle with the router? Thanks for bearing with me on this one, I know it was long-

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    first off it they would u would have to have two subscriptions to your Cable Service Provider becuase the other modem we prob not connect.

Also I have a router and it sucks ass, the upload is all messed up and it sometimes givies me probs with my IP. If you do find a good router then it would simply split your bandwith and YES your connection would go slow

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Each cable modem has a unique "MAC" address. Therefore your ISP will assign a separate IP for it and subsequently charge you for it(eventually anyways, this is a new technology after-all).
    Using 2 cable modems will yield no different results than using a router. You have "x" amount of bandwidth coming into your home. No matter how you configure it, multiple computers will share that "x" amount of bandwidth.

Make it easy and cheap on yourself. Don&#39;t buy a router. Setup the Kazaa PC as the "gateway"(like a router) and as long as that PC is powered on, any other PC connected to it will have access to the internet. You will need 2 NICs(<&#036;15ea) in the gateway computer and that&#39;s it.

Patrick Norton from TechTV has an article on doing this here

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    uh... ok... let&#39;s see...

first of all, the modems do not have IP addresses. the pc has an IP address, the modem does not. as far as i know, the modem doesn&#39;t have a MAC address either... the pc&#39;s ethernet card has a MAC address.

since a router plays the role of a pc, by controlling the modem and logging in to the ISP... the router has an IP address and a MAC address. most routers also use NAT (network address translation), which assigns LAN-only IP addresses to the pcs... meaning that the router conducts traffic between the internet and the pc, but people on the internet (the ISP included) cannot detect the IP addresses of your pcs or identify exactly how many you have connected.

it would be cheaper to just connect one pc through the other, but i&#39;d personally recommend a router instead because i think it&#39;s more convenient (one pc doesn&#39;t have to be connected for the other to get onto the internet) and more secure (lowers your chance of getting messed with by hax0rs because the router conceals the paths to your pcs).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@23 April 2003 - 15:22
    uh... ok... let&#39;s see...

first of all, the modems do not have IP addresses. the pc has an IP address, the modem does not. as far as i know, the modem doesn&#39;t have a MAC address either... the pc&#39;s ethernet card has a MAC address.

since a router plays the role of a pc, by controlling the modem and logging in to the ISP... the router has an IP address and a MAC address. most routers also use NAT (network address translation), which assigns LAN-only IP addresses to the pcs... meaning that the router conducts traffic between the internet and the pc, but people on the internet (the ISP included) cannot detect the IP addresses of your pcs or identify exactly how many you have connected.

it would be cheaper to just connect one pc through the other, but i&#39;d personally recommend a router instead because i think it&#39;s more convenient (one pc doesn&#39;t have to be connected for the other to get onto the internet) and more secure (lowers your chance of getting messed with by hax0rs because the router conceals the paths to your pcs).
    modems DO have a mac address. everything connected to the internet has.

also, you dun need a router, unless you are considering a third computer which you can probably get a cheap hub.

like harrycary said, a PC-to-PC connection would be fine. considering that you said your kazaa machine would be on 24/7 , i would suggest setting the internet gateway (the program that shares your internet connection) on it. in fact, it&#39;s almost hassle free if you use microsoft&#39;s internet connection sharing ICS. a direct connection by your kazaa machine would also mean less messed up ip thingy ( as compaed to using a router ) .

if you&#39;re afraid of kazaa eating up all your bandwith then you chould probably limited the download rate ( is there such a feature in kazaa ? i&#39;m not sure ) , recude the number of files downloading at any one time , or use a 3rd party program to limited it&#39;s download. some gateways allow bandwidth limiting.

fears of hax0rs can be reduced with a decent firewall like blackice etc. reduced, not eliminated. just like a router only reduces the chance of them finding you ^_^

while a router *might* be more convenient, i wouldn&#39;t recommend one unless you&#39;re feeling rich and/or you have alot of computers at home.

i use a linksys wireless router for the 2 computers and 3 laptops at home. the only reason i have it is that all linksys AccessPoints are routers. dun think they have linksys hub/switch APs

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by shenlong_wc@23 April 2003 - 18:29
    modems DO have a mac address. everything connected to the internet has.
    you&#39;re right about that. my bad.

i still disagree with the advice to use ICS, tho. for about &#036;50-&#036;70, a router can be a very worthwhile purchase. well, agree to disagree, i guess...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Baltimore, Maryland, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Sun Solar System, Milkey Way Galaxy, Quadra
    Just get a router that has a built in switch. This will allow you to use bandwidth across your network much more effectively. I have a PC, Mac, and Playstation running into a Netgear wireless router. I&#39;m not saying the full bandwidth will be utilized by each computer all of the time, but it&#39;s better than a hub.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@24 April 2003 - 14:29
    well, agree to disagree, i guess...
    true true ^_^

well , there&#39;s always pros and cons to everything
    it&#39;s just how much emphasis you wanna put on the factors ...

price ?
    security ?
    ease ?
    mess ( cables , equipment etc. ) ?
    performance ?
    s/w compatibility ?

etc

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    people, just get to the point YES it will slow you down b/c so much bandwith is comin to your house