Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Disc DVD movie to 1 double layer DVD

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    How do you rip a 2 disc movie(The Godfather part 2 if it matters) onto a single double layer DVD(aka DVD+R DL or DVD-9)?

I am familiar with DVD backups, and various ripping methods. I have most of the popular software to do these type of things and have no problems backing up a regular single disc, single layer/double layer DVD.

So far all I can find is various articles and guides for shrinking a DL disc onto a single DVD. (exactly opposite of what I want to do)

I don't usually ask for help as I like to figure these things out for myself.

So, any feedback, opinions or links you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-harry

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You don't. With the menu structure and everything you would need more than DVD Shrink and Nero. You'd need to know how to edit DVD files manually and know a lot about it. Stop being a pikey. Your already nicking the movie whats a 12p DVD disc?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Sorry Peerzy, you're missing the point.

What's the use of having a dual-layer capable DVD burner if I can't utilize it? (other then filling up an 8.5Gb disc with multiple files)

I simply want to put a 2 disc set onto one DL disc without shrinking/compressing it and complete with menus and extras.

This has nothing to do with cost either. It's about quality of picture combined with ease-of-use.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    A 2 disk set is usually 2 DVD9 disks so the total is closer to 2x8.5 GBs or 17 GBs.

So to fit them both onto 1 dual layer DVD you're going to have to compress them.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If its actually a two disc DVD5 then maybe take them to an mpeg format then join then bring them back to vob files although you would have to rebuild the menus also. This would most likely be rather time consuming. Dont know of any one click apps that could do this for your though.

As for the comment of the price of the discs above that makes little sense to me since a dual layer cost more than two DVD5 anywhere that Ive seen. I think it reasonable question to ask and wouldnt be surprised to see a one click app to do this some time soon...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    it may be possible
    hell, I might even give it a go on one of mine just to see
    probably have to rename the files from disc 2,
    stick em in the VIDEO_TS folder on disc 1,
    then rewrite/recreate the .ifos and such....
    it just might work

okiedokies, guess I have a project for tomorrow

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Check out www.doom9.org guides and their forums if there isnt anything there. Whole place for dvd stuff you'll definately find help there.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My best idea would be to rip both movies to xvid, use an avi joiner to join the files, then use divxtodvd to convert back to vobs then burn that.
    This wont have any menus or extras tho...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    My best idea would be to rip both movies to xvid, use an avi joiner to join the files, then use divxtodvd to convert back to vobs then burn that.
    This wont have any menus or extras tho...
    that would seriously degrade quality though

on a side note.....
    I had no luck on getting the fuggin thing to go my way
    I think I left out something in the process

will post back if there's any change in luck

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    otivo

Question Mark

My first question on the forum is not original. I searched all topics to no avail. I could not find a conclusive response to harrycary's question - "How do you rip a 2 disc movie(The Godfather part 2 if it matters) onto a single double layer DVD(aka DVD+R DL or DVD-9)?" - did anyone ever find out how to go about doing this? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast